Valve and their partners CodeWeavers have upgraded Proton Experimental, the special testing version of Proton where the latest special updates come in with some big stuff.
This is a totally separate version to the normal Proton releases, which you can select for specific games just like you would normally. Right click -> Properties -> Compatibility and select Proton Experimental from the drop-down box.
With the April 22 update to Proton Experimental, here's what's been added:
- Updated VKD3D-Proton to version 2.3
- Forza Horizon 4 is playable (requires AMD GPU with latest mesa-git drivers (known good mesa-git commit: `899dd8e60a5228c4506400d621ef6b5abfe5e32c`)).
- Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord is playable.
- The Origin Overlay is functional, which allows It Takes Two to be played with friends.
- Better support Anno 1404 - History Edition.
Update: another small update was added to Proton Experimental hours after this article to include:
- Fix Red Dead Redemption 2 "Not Purchased" error.
- Fix Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition hang on startup.
See the full changelog for all the details.
Testing it out myself this morning with Titanfall 2, it definitely seems like the Origin Overlay does now work. Although it seems to dislike the MangoHud overlay and would not work if that was running with the game. There are a few quirks to it in my testing for example: for me opening the Friends List will minimize the game, then when you bring it back the Friends List is there - slightly odd but it works well enough to use.
Great progress as usual.