The day is finally here after nearly 20 years, Widelands is a strategy game heavily inspired by the classic Settlers II and the big 1.0 release is out now. Widelands is a game for players who like to take things slow like the classics. You start off with nothing, gradually building up resource production and a system of roads to ferry all the resources around. Eventually expanding your borders to meet new tribes and make peace - or war.
In terms of what's changed in Widelands 1.0 the list is massive. There's loads of improvements, bug fixes, big and smalls tweaks and everything in between. Here's the highlights:
- A new tribe: the Amazons
- An add-on system
- A third frisians scenario
- Dynamic tribe loading to speed up game loading
- Targeting individual map objects for removal
- Mute/unmute messages by buildings
- Fully redesigned main menu
- Configurable keyboard shortcuts
- Enhanced keyboard and mousewheel support in the UI
- Long-term stable Lua API for game content designers
See more on the official site.