While we have Beamdog taking care of the newer Enhanced Edition generation of classic RPGs like Baldur's Gate, we also have the free and open source GemRB reimplementation which has a big update out.
GemRB works with the likes of Baldur’s Gate 1, Baldur’s Gate 2, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale 1 and Icewind Dale 2 so you can play the original classics with an updated and modern game engine. Eventually it seems they will even move onto working with the Enhanced Edition of each.
Now with GemRB 0.8.8 out, here's what's new:
- Gameplay content for the demo
- Heart of Fury support
- SDLAudio caching and volume control
- PlayStation Vita port
- Simpler invocation, AppImage packages
- Lightning bolts, iwd2 stealth, iwd effects, pst levelup
- Scripting, audio backends, logging
- Build system, portability and performance improvements
- Externalized summoning limit, trap limit, narration text speed
It's been going a long time now, with it hitting 20 years back in August 2020 and the developers think the future is very bright for the project.
See more on the GemRB website.