A racing game inspired by the likes of Outrun that's so completely bonkers it even has a car vs car fighting mode? Buck Up And Drive! is clearly hilarious. Created by developer Fábio Fontes, they explain that it's a "playable shitpost, that’s what it is!" and well, that's not even a bad description.
We need a little bit more to go on than that though right? It's an endless runner type of game with vehicles. You're high-score chasing while doing some ridiculous things like mid-air flips over trucks and it's wrapped up a wonderful retro inspired style.
- Endless driving game inspired by arcade classics, with simple yet intense gameplay featuring a total slap in the face of realism. And a kick in the spleen, too!
- Procedurally generated track with multiple environments to visit, ranging from the somewhat realistic to the completely absurd. GO TO HELL!... literally!
- PINK. BACKFLIPPING. TRUCKS. ON THE FUCKING MOON.
- Go 1v1 against another player (or a CPU) in a fighting mode. With cars. I dunno either, I came up with it while in the shower.
- Customizable car decals through external image files. Put "eggplants" all over the cars, for all I care!
- Controls for both game modes are a d-pad and a button. Play one-handed, if you want!
- Available for both Windows and Ubuntu (other Linux distros may work).
- After the game is on Steam (will take a bit though), I will let those that buy the game here to claim a Steam key later!
- More features to be added through updates.
The developer seems quite positive on doing a Linux native build too, mentioning on Twitter how "All it took was digging out an old PC, so kind of a no-brainer!".
You can try out a demo on itch.io and pre-order. It's due for release in August 2021.