Now crowdfunding on IndieGoGo with a demo available, Bittersweet Birthday is a very promising atmospheric adventure that mixed in plenty of boss battles and an intriguing story about being hunted.
"You wake up, dazed… with no memories. While asking yourself where and how you got there, a strange voice breaks through the silence: “Hey there, bud”. Under the threat of unstable individuals hunting you down, the only chance of escape is to listen to the voice…
Maybe you'll uncover more on what's going on..."
- A story of mystery driven by endearing characters!
- Punishing combat where reading the enemy is the key to victory!
- Explore a lively world with friendly residents and their interlocking quests!
- Personalize your combat style to adjust the game's difficulty!
- Multiple collectibles, exchangeable items, and mini-games!
- Cute pixel-art characters on beautifully drawn backgrounds!
- Heart-touching tunes that will stay with you forever!
Another game made with free and open source tooling too with Godot Engine. The development of the game is quite far along, with the vast majority of the funding being used towards paying an artist and musician for more pieces to include in the game.
You can find the Bittersweet Birthday demo on itch.io and Steam. If you decide you like what you see you can help the developer finish it by pledging on their IndieGoGo campaign. I was personally quite impressed with the atmosphere in the demo, definitely grabbed my attention while playing.