A new and improved paid version of an older first-person psychological horror, \SPEK.TAKL\ - Banned Edition, is out now on itch.io and was apparently too much for Valve.
I have to admit, my own curiosity gets piqued whenever Valve decided to outright refuse a game to be on their store, considering how just …outrageous some games are that are accepted onto Steam.
\SPEK.TAKL\ is a a first-person psychological horror game with multiple endings that can be completed in under an hour.
It is a late-night television watching simulator. Sit down on the couch in your new apartment straight out of 1994 and enjoy a cozy evening bingeing cable TV until the sign-off comes around and there's nothing else to watch.
Whatever you do, do not worry about the neighbors; do NOT answer the door; and never EVER watch the VHS tapes that are dropped through your mail slot.
\SPEK.TAKL\ is an intense, intimate and disturbing horror-themed psychosexual exploration on the lengths some of us go to in order to avoid facing the inevitable.
- Four different endings : your actions, or your inaction, matter
- Midnight movie ambiance : an abstract narrative with psychosexual themes, echoing the works of Lynch and Cronenberg
- Late-night television : sit down and actually watch over an hour of remixed public-domain-sourced videos
- Low risk gameplay : no enemies putting the player in danger, just light puzzle elements to solve and a tense and heavy atmosphere
New in the re-release:
- An additional, exclusive ending, further exploring the dark themes of the original game
- Unused music tracks composed for the original release added back to the new environments
- Quality of Life improvements, such as subtitles for dialog and bug fixes for a smoother experience
You can buy it on itch.io.