The massive AI Kingdoms update for Kingdoms and Castles has finally hit Open Beta for anyone who owns it, so you can now see what the developer has been working on for quite some time.
Kingdoms and Castles is a city-building simulation game about growing a kingdom from a tiny hamlet to a sprawling city and imposing castle. It has gradually grown from quite a small and relaxed game into a much bigger city-builder / RTS hybrid, although you can still pretty much play how you want and AI Kingdoms are optional to add in.
Here's some highlights of what's in the current Beta:
- AI Kingdoms you can add when starting a new game
- Talk, trade, or fight with these AI kingdoms
- Hall of Diplomacy where you can make diplomats used to interact with the AI Kingdoms
- Fog of war system
- Siege Workshop which builds Catapults
- New harder 'Survive 250' game mode
- Theatre and Jousting Arena
- Transport carts
- Ability to set maximum workers per job category
- Lots of other various improvements
I managed to set aside some time and play through the Beta today and it's looking absolutely fantastic. Kingdoms and Castles was already a wonderful game but now it just has so much more depth to it, giving you a great many more hours of building - without making it too complicated.
For the Beta, it's currently Steam-only until it's finished and then it will be up as a normal update for other stores. If you wish to try it on Steam simply right click the game and go to Properties, hit the Beta tab and select "next-version-preview".