Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.

SuperTux released free on Steam, an open source classic

Giving a nice boost to a classic free and open source game, SuperTux has now been released on Steam and it's free to download and play.

"Run and jump through SuperTux, the sidescrolling 2D platformer starring Tux, the Linux mascot. Squish and knock out enemies, collect powerups, and solve platforming puzzles throughout the Icy Island and the Rooted Forest, as Tux tries to save his beloved Penny from her kidnapper, Nolok!"

Features:

• Platforming gameplay similar to original Super Mario games, with some unique abilities such as backflipping and dynamic swimming
  • Lovingly hand-crafted graphics contributed by a variety of artists, alongside engaging and catchy music
  • Engaging levels designed with casual gameplay, puzzling and speedrunning in mind
  • Weird, quirky and some not-so-adorable enemies that might be too cute to kill
  • Two full worlds packed with unique and challenging levels, castles, and boss fights
  • Other contrib levels, including seasonal worlds, storyless bonus islands, and downloadable Add-ons, which feature new and unique stories and levels
  • Simple, flexible Level Editor, which allows for the creation and sharing of levels of any complexity

There's one weird issue it's come with for Manjaro users, who currently need to remove "appimagelauncher" and then it seems to work after a reboot. Other than that, it seems to have been received well by Steam users with it already getting a Positive rating. If you're after a classic free Mario-like, this is it. Not a complete game though, they still have plenty more to add into it and since it's open source anyone can help.

Download on Steam or grab it from the official site / Flathub.

26 Likes
We do often include affiliate links to earn us some pennies. We are currently affiliated with GOG and Humble Store. See more here.

WildCoder 5 days ago
I've been waiting for Super Tux Kart, but I'll take that in the meantime...
Koopacabras 5 days ago
Tuxing like a boss 😎 thanks devs
Jpxson 5 days ago

Last edited by Jpxson on 13 January 2022 at 4:23 pm UTC
Oet_ 5 days ago
Quoting: Liam DaweNot a complete game though, they still have plenty more to add into it and since it's open source anyone can help.
'Early Access Game' on Steam initially released 11 May, 2004. Guess that beats Duke Nukem Forever! :)
eldaking 5 days ago
Finally Windows users can see what they were missing all this time. Maybe Windows gaming is finally going to become viable? xD
CatKiller 5 days ago
I'm really looking forward to shots of this running on the Steam Deck. And that the exposure brings more contributors, too, of course.
I first played SuperTux in 2016. I am glad to see it is now on Steam.
fagnerln 5 days ago
They could put some cosmetic dlcs just to work as donations. I know that there's another way to donate, but steam has a lot of payment methods and of course there's money from trading cards and sell things on market
Quoting: JpxsonSince they have packaged the Steam version as an AppImage it also won't work with Flatpak Steam. I've asked on Discord if they would consider switching to using the Steam Runtime Soldier instead, since that would solve both this and the Manjaro issue. They answered that they would look into it.
It's disappointing that Flatpak is incompatible with AppImages. Personally, I would love it if GOG, for example, distributed all their games as AppImages. I love the format; it's so simple, gives the developer a lot of control, and solves the age-old issue of dependencies being updated over time.

It would be nice if Steam offered a middle ground that allowed the user to choose which version of the game they download; the Flatpak or the AppImage, in much the same way that software like Gnome Software does.
Creak 4 days ago
I'll proudly rock this game on my future Steam Deck!

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone with no article paywalls. We also don't have tons of adverts, there's also no tracking and we respect your privacy. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!