THQ Nordic, 3D Realms and Slipgate Ironworks recently revealed Tempest Rising an upcoming classic RTS and after watching the trailer I absolutely need this.
While it will no doubt only officially support Windows, it doesn't release until 2023 and the Proton compatibility layer is already at a point where a lot of new releases just work. It also claims to have full controller support, so could be a good Steam Deck RTS!
As someone who grew up playing Dune 2, Command & Conquer and Red Alert — Tempest Rising seems like it's ticking all the right boxes for me.
More about it:
Classic RTS action meets modern production and performance in Tempest Rising. Inspired by RTS greats of the 90s and 2000s, Tempest Rising is a classic, base-building real time strategy game set in a modern day alternative history war scenario. It features 3 unique factions, each with its own approach to combat and economy and offering a variety of strategies for players of all stripes, maps with neutral structures to contest and neutral populations to contend with, deep and rewarding gameplay that keeps a focus on strategy while rewarding skill, and built-in customization options that allow players to approach the game their way in both single player and multiplayer game modes.
- Classic RTS base building with fast and fluid hard-hitting combat.
- 3 asymmetrical playable factions, each featuring distinct economy and play styles.
- Each faction offers a unique roster of units.
- 2 epic single player campaigns with between-mission cutscenes.
- Skirmish, custom games, and ranked multiplayer matchmaking with Elo rating.
You can follow it on Steam.