A new retro-powered first-person shooter to fill your time with? It's free too! A.W.O.L. looks like it could be fun for your weekend. Developed by Shotspark Studios, it's free to play and comes with Native Linux support. Released as part of the Realms Deep 2022 event which has a Steam page up now too.
"Step into the combat boots of Dwayne Allen, a recently discharged special forces soldier, as he joins his former squad mates on their hunt for their missing C.O."
YouTube videos require cookies, you must accept their cookies to view. View cookie preferences.
- Command your squad - A.W.O.L. features three A.I. team mates with unique behaviors to support Allen in combat.
- Intelligent enemies - to bring the retro FPS forward in time, A.W.O.L. features sophisticated enemy A.I. for a more modern challenge. Enemies will take cover, hide, ambush, and work together to try and take your team out.
- No procedural generation - 9 uniquely-crafted levels for a tailored, bespoke experience!
- Hand-drawn heroes - Bespoke sprite and texture art with serious retro FPS style!
- Pick your playstyle - Players will be able to choose from "action-movie" style play, or amp up the challenging with more realistic combat modes!
Pick it up on Steam.
Some you may have missed, popular articles from the last month:
Wow that looks really good..... Added it to my account!
Well... Judging for the gameplay videos, is not exactly a retro game; is more like a modern game with retro graphics.
Speaking of Realms Deep and the Build Engine, it looks like there is an Ion Fury sequel that doesn't use Build or have Linux support: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1733240/Phantom_Fury/
3 Likes, Who?
Quoting: Phlebiacan Ion Fury sequel that doesn't use Build or have Linux support: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1733240/Phantom_Fury/
A shame, especially the second point.
I wonder... Is it possible to play A.W.O.L. by building your own executable, e.g. using eDuke32?
Quoting: PhlebiacSpeaking of Realms Deep and the Build Engine, it looks like there is an Ion Fury sequel that doesn't use Build or have Linux support: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1733240/Phantom_Fury/
Yes, but don't forget the DLC coming for Ion Fury! it promises to be really good
2 Likes, Who?
watching the video I thought "oh interesting is this going to be some kind of hyper-realistic type of military shooter" only to have a guy yeet himself into the abyss at 0:45
Looks nice, would play if it didn't require you to install Steam to download it.
See more from me