The free and open source RTS Warzone 2100 has a new release out, bringing with it a new difficulty mode if you struggled through the campaign. Quite a success story this one. Originally a fully commercial game developed by Pumpkin Studios and published by Eidos Interactive that was eventually set free. I wish more developers did this eventually.
Main improvements in version 4.3 include:
- New “Super Easy” difficulty for campaign.
- Additional new “Aftermath” soundtrack (from Lupus-Mechanicus).
- Add “LOD Distance” Graphics option, to adjust texture sharpness at distance (defaults to “High”).
- Add new Video Options (“Minimize on Focus Loss”, “Alt+Enter Toggle”).
- Add Flatpak builds (for Linux).
- Support for bidirectional text using fribidi.
- Improve Cobra AI yet again (balances against defensive / system research when 1v1 on high oil maps).
- Show the rank a unit will have if it were produced next.
- Add console message when limits change.
- Update campaign balance (and fixes) for: Alpha 2, Alpha 6, later Beta missions, Beta-end, Gamma 2.
- + Lots of bug fixes and multiplayer balancing changes.