Recently Valve put up a Beta for Steam desktop and Steam Deck, which unfortunately came with a huge bug that people found but a new release fixes it and adds some more fixes too.
The bug was quite a big woops, that ended up causing people on Linux and Steam Deck to be unable to open anything after Steam had been open for a short time.
Once again the patch notes are basically the same across desktop and Steam Deck:
- Fixed regression causing "Maximum number of clients reached" issue
- Fixed Patch Notes button on Downloads page entries
New Big Picture Mode
- Allow onscreen keyboard to be activated while in New Big Picture Mode and Steam window is not focused
- Fixed some issues where onscreen keyboard and controller configurator windows could not be reactivated after closing
- Fixed issue opting in to some game beta branches
- Fixed issue w/ Joystick Deadzone visualization not updating
It seems they actually realised at least for the update before this, that they had copy / pasted a feature from desktop to Steam Deck not actually available on Steam Deck. The feature being the new full / partial controller icon being added on game hover in your library, as they actually went back and removed it from the changelog. The one before that still lists some controller options not actually available on Steam Deck though — would be nice if these things were checked fully before going out in their official changelogs to not confuse users.
I was not even using steam at the time, it was tucked safely away in its own workspace (I use the qtile window manager). I was hitting the key to open a new terminal and... wtf? For a minute I thought maybe there was something wrong with my rather elaborate keyboard (zsa moonlander... which has never had *any* problems btw). Luckily, I already had a terminal open somewhere else, and tried opening a terminal from within it and got X11 telling me that the maximum number of clients was reached. I never got this message in X11 before, so it was quite surprising, I later discovered that by default X11 allows a maximum of 256 clients, which might even be a fundamental limitation since it seems to use a `UInt8` as a client ID. I realized that steam was causing the problem pretty quickly as I had just recently updated it (and was on beta).
In retrospect I wish I had looked at the list of clients to see what the hell it was steam was opening.
This, btw, is a great demonstration of why gaming in linux is so superior to gaming in windows: whatever bug the steam client might have introduced in windows, I never would have had the slightest clue what the fuck happened.
I restarted my Steam Deck, to no effect. Really this as well as the horrible scrolling and item selection with the D pad makes the store unusable. You'd think they'd care, as that is how they make money. I reported it but of course nobody gives a shit.
See more from me