The Linux Game Jam 2023 is happening and a good chance for you to blow the dust and clean away the cobwebs from your development environment and perhaps come up with the next big hit?
Starting on May 27th 2023 and running through until June 6th 2023 it's being hosted on itch.io and here's the rules:
- You can use any engine. Your own custom built one (developed outside the jam) is totally fair game.
- Your game specific programming should be done within the time frame of this jam.
- Your game must be submitted to the official Itch.io game jam page before the end of the day June 5th (UTC).
- Your game must have a Linux build.
- Your game's Itch page should have a brief summary of your mechanics and clear instructions on installation, dependency requirements, and how to run the game.
- Your game can use assets that you created or assets that are freely/open culture licensed (including music, sound effects, fonts, etc.). Freely licensed material must be given proper credit on your entry's page.
- You’re allowed (and encouraged) to work in teams if you like. Head over to the community section, the Discord channel and look for people who want to team up.
- There is no theme, but if you need inspiration or extra constraints, you can take a look at the optional prompt list.
- Don't just submit a project that you've been working on outside of the jam.
- This jam is not a venue for racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, or other forms of discrimination.
- Adult/sensitive content in submissions is allowed, but please check the boxes under Metadata » Audience & Content and make note in your submission description.
- Finally, you get one bonus point if your game is released under a Free/Open Source software licence, and a SECOND bonus point if your game is developed with open source tools.
Officially, if you win, you get the warm feeling of participation but I think we can do a little better. So, I'm going to be giving out some prizes this year just to sweeten the pot a little for the event.
Here's what I'm going to offer up:
- First place: £50 directly to your (PayPal) or donated to your favourite cause.
- Second place: £25 like above.
Plus, both first and second place will get a little feature here on GamingOnLinux when covering the finished event.
I very much look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Be sure to keep an eye on the itch.io page.