You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Best way to play old Dos games on Linux?
linmark May 15, 2015
Hi,

I hope this is the right section to ask this question, but I really want to know the easiest/best method to run and play old dos games - like doom or prince of persia - on Linux.
Magamo May 15, 2015
http://www.dosbox.com/ -- Look at DOSbox. Most distros have packages for it.

For Doom though, I'd recommend taking a look at one of the many source port packages out there for Doom, Doom II and other DoomClones based on its engine. Prboom, Doomsday, vavoom are all decent and run well under Linux.
oldrocker99 May 15, 2015
:><: And I was just going to say that. You snooze, you lose ^_^ .

What he said.

I will add that the old games like the Tex Avery series, the Sid Meier games, the Might and Magic series, etc, all of which are available on GOG.com and/or Steam, all run on DOSbox, for Linux, Windows, and Mac users. It is the only way to run them.
oldrocker99 May 15, 2015
Quoting: oldrocker99:&gt;&lt;: And I was just going to say that. You snooze, you lose ^_^ .

What he said.

I will add that the old games like the Tex Avery series, the Sid Meier games, the Might and Magic series, etc, all of which are available on GOG.com and/or Steam, all run on DOSbox, for Linux, Windows, and Mac users.
lucinos May 20, 2015
this should go to retro gaming, not wine in the forum

some games like "Doom" do support linux natively
also very important is scummvm. If scummvm supports a game then scummvm is the best way

dosbox is very good and can play almost any dos game. I have played a lot "Prince of Persia" on dosbox.
cRaZy-bisCuiT Apr 5, 2016
DOSBox
lucinos Apr 5, 2016
for many games, the best way is scummvm

scummvm is usually for adventure-like games (it started for lucasarts games, but is extended to support many more)

if not scummvm, usually dosbox is good.

:The question should be on retro section, not wine.

:I just saw that the question was old and I had answered again! :D
wolfyrion Apr 5, 2016
Scummvm is good for the most Adventure Games

Dosbox is good for almost all the dos games

I use both

In case you want to use DosBox use this

http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/

Is a GUI for DosBox and it makes things easier to handle :)

is available on AUR for Arch distro based -->
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/dbgl/
Nasra Oct 17, 2016
Dosbox, GOG titles, or a VM with Windows 3.11 or Windows 95 ;)
Samsai Oct 17, 2016
Moved the thread to the correct subforum.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.