Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
AMD 15.5 driver Massive improvment!
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
pete910 Jun 9, 2015
Anyone else seen a huge perf boost with AMD 15.5 driver

merto redux 30 ish on high jumped to 120 !!!

BL2 70 ish to 140+ !!!

Dying light an unplayable 13 on low @ 1280 x 1024
to 60 ish @ 1440p on high :S: :O

This is on a r9 290x 3.19 kernel (Mageia 5)

I'm still looking for the catch. Cant be just me.
Avehicle7887 Jun 9, 2015
While I'm on an Nvidia card, this is great news indeed. I hope more people are getting these results and I hop on the AMD bandwagon for the next lineup.

The drivers are the only thing holding me back.
pete910 Jun 14, 2015
To add to this, The difference in the 15.5's compared to the 14's

coryrj19951 Jun 14, 2015
Yeah, I noticed :D I can Play Dying Light now. Don't know the exact FPS, but instead of it being JUST playable at every thing lowest, I can now set the resolution to 1600x900 (my monitor's native resolution) and a few eye candy settings on. ~20-41 FPS I've been seeing. Shadow Warrior is running very smooth now too.

R9 270x 2gb
Xpander Jun 14, 2015
can you run phoronix-test-suite ..its good tool for comparing stuff

results come out like that: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1506107-DE-1503031LI95

lots of test profiles, including some steam games as well
jamesc359 Jun 14, 2015
I noticed a huge difference in Borderlands 2. This is based upon my observations since I never bothered to take screenshots. Still I'm very impressed. Anyways, it went from approximately 30/40 fps upwards to 75/85 fps on the title screen and from a nearly unplayable at times 25/40 to 65/75 in game. I also noticed an equally impressive improvement in a couple Unigine benchmarks (Tropics and Sancuary).

Regarding stability; I haven't had any lockups or crashes, which had happened on several occasions with the old 14.x branch.

*low/high
pete910 Jun 14, 2015
Quoting: coryrj19951Yeah, I noticed :D I can Play Dying Light now. Don't know the exact FPS, but instead of it being JUST playable at every thing lowest, I can now set the resolution to 1600x900 (my monitor's native resolution) and a few eye candy settings on. ~20-41 FPS I've been seeing. Shadow Warrior is running very smooth now too.

R9 270x 2gb

Look in your steam settings under "in game" iirc, there's a fps counter check box.

Dying light was real bad on the 2xx series, wouldn't even launch when the game was first released. Took a patch just for it to start.

Quoting: Xpandercan you run phoronix-test-suite ..its good tool for comparing stuff

results come out like that: http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1506107-DE-1503031LI95

Me and phoronix test suite don't get on tbh. Did give it another go the other day as so to compare with whats on openbenchmark.

I will have another go.

I have posted in the AMD driver thread over at phoronix but apart from a few no one seems to have noticed the jump.

Quoting: jamesc359I noticed a huge difference in Borderlands 2. This is based upon my observations since I never bothered to take screenshots. Still I'm very impressed. Anyways, it went from approximately 30/40 fps upwards to 75/85 fps on the title screen and from a nearly unplayable at times 25/40 to 65/75 in game. I also noticed an equally impressive improvement in a couple Unigine benchmarks (Tropics and Sancuary).

Regarding stability; I haven't had any lockups or crashes, which had happened on several occasions with the old 14.x branch.

*low/high

The BL series has always worked well for me as most of aspry's/feral ports have tbh but the jump I had seen in these was certainly unexpected

Bioshock inf has also see a jump, Anyone know if there's a in built benchmark for that?
pete910 Jun 14, 2015
Quoting: Xpandercan you run phoronix-test-suite ..its good tool for comparing stuff

Right, think I've sussed it :D

This my result from the test you posted , I did upload but does not show up on the openbenchmark site :S:

Does it take time to show/verified?

coryrj19951 Jun 14, 2015
Quoting: pete910
Quoting: coryrj19951Yeah, I noticed :D I can Play Dying Light now. Don't know the exact FPS, but instead of it being JUST playable at every thing lowest, I can now set the resolution to 1600x900 (my monitor's native resolution) and a few eye candy settings on. ~20-41 FPS I've been seeing. Shadow Warrior is running very smooth now too.

R9 270x 2gb

Look in your steam settings under "in game" iirc, there's a fps counter check box.

Dying light was real bad on the 2xx series, wouldn't even launch when the game was first released. Took a patch just for it to start.

Yeah, I have it enabled now, I was just too lazy to go look for it again after I had to reinstall mint a while back. After checking my FPS I am getting on average of 30 FPS, dipping down to 20 and maxing at 40 at times, which is game completing playable. ^_^
sub Jun 14, 2015
Does ist support xorg 1.17?
The Arch Catalyst maintainer says it doesn't.
Xpander Jun 14, 2015
Quoting: pete910

Right, think I've sussed it :D

This my result from the test you posted , I did upload but does not show up on the openbenchmark site :S:

Does it take time to show/verified?

no ..there should be a question at the end if you want to upload your result after you close your local file

good performance i see.. not bad at all

Quoting: pete910Bioshock inf has also see a jump, Anyone know if there's a in built benchmark for that?

bioshock inf is also in phoronix-test-suite btw
command for it: phoronix-test-suite benchmark bioshock-infinite

old result of mine compared to friends 560Ti http://openbenchmarking.org/result/1503267-LI-1503264LI33

CSGO didnt work for me in that test because i hadn't even launched CSGO before and it needs to be launched once before you can run the benchmark
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.