Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Witcher 3 coming to Linux :o ?
Page: 1/11»
  Go to:
wolfyrion Aug 13, 2015
Someone on steam forums is saying that got this email from CD PROJECKT RED.

Dont know if its fake or not :o

source : http://steamcommunity.com/app/292030/discussions/0/34095684666654972/

Liam Dawe Aug 13, 2015
Believe it when I see it.
ricki42 Aug 13, 2015
I've heard several people have sent emails to CDPR support and received similar replies. I think shmerl mentioned he got one, that must have been almost a year ago if memory serves. Someone on the CDPR forum got one about 1 or 2 months ago. So nothing new here. As Liam said, I'll believe it when I see it.
svartalf Aug 13, 2015
Quoting: wolfyrionSomeone on steam forums is saying that got this email from CD PROJECKT RED.

Dont know if its fake or not :o

source : http://steamcommunity.com/app/292030/discussions/0/34095684666654972/

It's my understanding that they ran into issues in the version- but rather than doing the bad play Epic did with UT3 on us, they're being somewhat quiet until it's closer to time- which based on the email in question, shouldn't be long now. I'm just hoping they didn't do a Virtual Programming solution... Not knocking the work on Witcher2 (I'm playing it and with the multithread support on NVidia turned on, while it's not as "fast" as Wine on the same machine, the visual effects are what CPR intended for the game with the "Enhanced" version...)- but a more native solution since multithread, while it makes it easier to code, doesn't *really* make it faster.
svartalf Aug 13, 2015
Quoting: ricki42I've heard several people have sent emails to CDPR support and received similar replies. I think shmerl mentioned he got one, that must have been almost a year ago if memory serves. Someone on the CDPR forum got one about 1 or 2 months ago. So nothing new here. As Liam said, I'll believe it when I see it.

Heh...many said the same about Steam on Linux. If I'm not mistaken, they've got some obligation to target SteamOS/SteamBox for this Christmas (which is the current rough plan for Valve on things there...)- and it does NEITHER player any d*mn good to not have a port there, now does it? >:-D
ricki42 Aug 13, 2015
Quoting: svartalfIf I'm not mistaken, they've got some obligation to target SteamOS/SteamBox for this Christmas (which is the current rough plan for Valve on things there...)- and it does NEITHER player any d*mn good to not have a port there, now does it? >:-D

Why would CDPR have an obligation to have a SteamOS version by Christmas? I don't think Valve can dictate ports or release dates to developers. A lot of games won't have a port on SteamOS when it launches in November.

Anyway, the email isn't news, they've been sending pretty much the same email for months, so it doesn't indicate anything other than that they haven't completely dismissed the thought of the possibility of maybe one day releasing a Linux version. That's good, but no reason to get hyped or expect a release anytime soon. Nothing has changed. And the fact that they still don't announce anything officially doesn't exactly bode well.
Don't get me wrong, I'm very much looking forward to playing this game one day. But I'll remain skeptical until I see an official announcement. I'll keep my fingers crossed but my hopes in check.
Avehicle7887 Aug 13, 2015
Looks legit, my only fear is that they will use VP for it. I know their wrapper came a long way since Witcher 2's first release, not going to start an argument about Wrappers vs Native, but if you gotta do something do it once and do it right (Looking at you Shadow of Mordor ya sexy Linux beast game).

Make it good CDPR, when it's done I'll be ready for it.
wolfyrion Aug 13, 2015
I dont know what $$$ or deals are involved about bringing games to SteamOS but I am like 99% sure that Valve gives some benefits to the developers that are releasing games for SteamOS so they are pushing SteamOS games to the MAX!

There are only 3 months left for Steam Machines to take off and I bet at that time many new games or old awesome titles are gonna be released for SteamOS

So far SteamOS is missing a good racing game , Fifa or Pro Evolution (a football game) , beat em ups like Street Fighter , Mortal Kombat etc and some of the TOP Games of the year like Witcher 3.

Some games are exclusive for Xbox One and PS4 or for Windows, I bet that you will see Exclusive games for SteamOS but not for Long, for like 1 month or maybe more........

Why you think Half-Life 3 , Left for Dead 3 , Portal 3 + a new CS:GO didnt release yet?
You will hear a lot of announcements about these new games when Steam Machines + Vulkan API are out and in a good state.... like for Example:
"We are bringing Half Life 3 atm to Linux/SteamOS since we are not happy yet with the Performance on Windows or Mac"
"Left For Dead 3 will be FREE if you play the game under SteamOS/Linux"

Anyway maybe I am just dreaming about all this :P
ricki42 Aug 13, 2015
Valve already said in an interview in 2013 that they won't do exclusives. And I doubt they'd introduce different prices for different platforms; so far all but - I think - one game have been cross-buy for all platforms that they support.
svartalf Aug 14, 2015
Quoting: Avehicle7887Looks legit, my only fear is that they will use VP for it. I know their wrapper came a long way since Witcher 2's first release, not going to start an argument about Wrappers vs Native, but if you gotta do something do it once and do it right (Looking at you Shadow of Mordor ya sexy Linux beast game).

Make it good CDPR, when it's done I'll be ready for it.

Damnit...you reminded me that they brought Shadow to Linux...now I've got to buy *THAT* as well... >:-D
svartalf Aug 14, 2015
[quote=ricki42]
Why would CDPR have an obligation to have a SteamOS version by Christmas? I don't think Valve can dictate ports or release dates to developers. A lot of games won't have a port on SteamOS when it launches in November.
[quote]

You might be surprised at what is/isn't there. As for an obligation, you misunderstood. I suspect they have a deal for it on SteamOS and it wouldn't look good for Valve OR CDPR if they didn't have something for the big rollout supposedly coming soon. I'm about to make a big push for the two Indie studios I did work for to make SteamOS versions for that reason.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.