Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
GOL users who use Debian as their gaming distro of choice, why?
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
GustyGhost Mar 5, 2016
One of the things I'm looking for is to not have to go through and selectively uninstall non-free software. Debian provides a clean slate and the only proprietary crap that gets put on there is stuff that I decided to install myself (cough Steam). Until I made this thread I had no idea there was a rolling Debian branch.
Blurps Mar 5, 2016
SteamOS is only based on Debian so I made some tweaks months ago to get the latest nvidia-driver available on the SteamOS repo without pb.
I'm using Debian stable and it works great. The debian-backports reposoritory is really helpfull to get the latest nvidia driver and other packages.
s8as8a Apr 11, 2016
To me, a computer is not just a gaming device. I like to use my computer(s) for everything.

Here are some values of mine that I can think of as I write this, which Debian delivers, and makes me adore it.:
1) Stability / Security / Reliability

2) Excludes any trace of proprietary software by default AND makes proprietary software easy to install if the user desires it (so it's good for both idealism and pragmatism). I much rather go through roundabout methods of obtaining certain proprietary software that I feel I need rather than have proprietary software installed that I am not aware of, nor need. (The vrms tool is one useful tool for keeping proprietary software to a minimum.)

3) Massive repositories and beautiful package management system.

4) Multiple architectures supported, so I can carry an identical user experience on an ARM netbook, for example.

5) Apt-pinning and backports makes it much easier to keep a "99% super stable" (Debian stable repository) / "1% regular stable" (Debian stable backports and Debian testing repositories), for example. This ensures that any program that contains enough features to satisfy you can keep getting security-focused fixes, while still keeping the upgraded ones largely secure and stable. (Other branch combinations are possible, but that's my preference.)

The Debian project's decisions line up with my opinions perfectly; I have yet to disagree with a decision made by that project . . . it's an awesome project! :D I think I'm in love. :P
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.