Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
BEGINNER Linux Gaming FAQ-Guide-Introduction-Tutorial Section on the site + Wiki
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
marvin2711 Mar 27, 2016
I'm new to Linux. Have been using it maybe 6-8 weeks. So far askubuntu.com helped me with most of my gaming related questions. The Ubuntu community wiki is also super helpful.

The reason I recommend Ubuntu over any other distro for newcomers is simply the sheer amount of documentation you have easily access to.

I don't believe that a comprehensive beginners guide here on GOL would make a lot of sense. A sticky on the forums with a few tips and pointers would though.
Liam Dawe Mar 28, 2016
If it hasn't been mentioned already, we have a wiki which sounds like it would be a good fit to add this sort of stuff in.
Storminator16 Mar 28, 2016
Quoting: FirepinOf course i am ignorant. I am a linux noob who started to use linux for about 6 months. I just want to tell my noob story so that we as a linux community can improve linux support, so that other people who want to come to linux, have it easier than myself.

Seriously, I haven't read the rest of this thread. I just wanted to point out that is the most epic introduction ever. We can build a meme off it.

"Of course i am ignorant. I am a irresponsible fire starter noob who started to use matches for about 6 months. I just want to tell my noob story so that we as a arson community can improve fire starting support, so that other people who want to come to irresponsible fire starting, have it easier than myself. "

/me lights a match and hums

I still giggle at the word "noob". Is something wrong with me?

Yeah, work today is driving me batty...
Firepin Mar 29, 2016
@bintsmok

Very good this could be added to and expanded. I hope the website owners join the discussion here. (May have overlooked the thread)
Liam Dawe Mar 29, 2016
Quoting: Firepin@bintsmok

Very good this could be added to and expanded. I hope the website owners join the discussion here. (May have overlooked the thread)
Look up ^

I suggested using our Wiki.
Liam Dawe Mar 29, 2016
Quoting: Guest
Quoting: liamdawe
Quoting: Firepin@bintsmok

Look up ^

I suggested using our Wiki.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/wiki/Main_Page

Sir, I already checked that. There are lots of information there but it does not tell how a newbie would migrate from Windows to Linux for gaming purposes.

I said about that in my other post
QuoteIf it hasn't been mentioned already, we have a wiki which sounds like it would be a good fit to add this sort of stuff in.

Forum posts will get lost, anyone is free to add things to the wiki, with it being a wiki and all ;)
Liam Dawe Mar 30, 2016
I need a little more info than that, why can't you login, what happens?
Liam Dawe Mar 30, 2016
Yes, wiki accounts are different.

Also, please never overwrite the main wiki page. I created a page for this section and moved your text to it.

I also moved the extra games you had in the benchmark section into the actual benchmark page, and link it in the text (rather than duplicating it).

Also, try to refrain from "I suggest", as it's a wiki, it will be lots of people editing. Use "we" or rephrase it so you don't need that :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.