You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Other then Linux what Operating systems Have you/Do you use?
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
kaiman Jun 22, 2021
Personally I used at some point or other

Amiga OS (1.3 and 2.04)
DOS
Win95, Win98, Win2k, XP (also 8/8.1 inside a VM)
BeOS 5
OSX 10.2, 10.4, 10.6, 10.9 up to 10.14/15? (Kinda lost track with the yearly releases that didn't really feel any different from the last)
My first Linux install was a SuSE distro from late '96, but after 6.4 or 7.1 I switched to Debian and later Ubuntu, of which I ran all the LTS releases from 14.04 onward.

I've also installed FreeBSD and Haiku at some point, but never used them much for anything productive.

At work I also had NT4, Win7 and now some version of Win10, as well as exposure to AIX, Solaris, HP-UX and OpenVMS (those latter four I wrote code on, but didn't use as a desktop).

In a way I feel we're long past peak OS, no matter the vendor. Things got slower and ever more complex, with only marginal improvements to usability and features. Were it not for hardware support and bug fixes, I guess I'd still stick with something from the mid 2000s.
Pangaea Jun 22, 2021
Quoting: Guestwin xp, vista, 7,8 and 10. i have never used BSD or Solaris.
An 11-year bump. Respect! :D

Didn't have 3.1 and suchlike, too early for me, but something along these lines:
Win 95, Win 98, Win 2000, Win XP, Win 7 (skipped ME and Vista, and of course 10).

Don't recall all the Linux distros I tried on and off, but at least these:
Red Hat, Knoppix, Ubuntu, Debian, Linux Mint. I've been on Linux Mint for many years now, and dual-booting was dropped many years ago too.

Special mention of Windows RG. Don't know if there is a "working" version any more, but it was hilarious. Almost burst my sides when first trying it out. Hmm, maybe this is the original? https://www.jamesweb.co.uk/windowsrg
damarrin Jun 23, 2021
Quoting: levellord(even my kids use Linux).

How's that working out? Aren't they isolated from their friends? Doesn't school require MSO?
damarrin Jun 23, 2021
I've used MS systems from DOS up to and including Windows XP, macOS since 10.3, Linux since Mandrake 8. BeOS, too, for about 2 hours.
levellord Jun 23, 2021
Quoting: damarrin

How's that working out? Aren't they isolated from their friends? Doesn't school require MSO?

School is providing tablets for kids, android based, so it is pretty much uniform in that way and no isolation. On the other hand, there is always a bunch of kids playing games in my house on Linux when they are not outside. My oldest daughter doesn't even know that something called windows exists. :) Youngest doesn't care, too young. Linux has gone long way since Steam was introduced.
damarrin Jun 23, 2021
Quoting: levellord
Quoting: damarrin

School is providing tablets for kids, android based, so it is pretty much uniform in that way and no isolation. On the other hand, there is always a bunch of kids playing games in my house on Linux when they are not outside. My oldest daughter doesn't even know that something called windows exists. :) Youngest doesn't care, too young. Linux has gone long way since Steam was introduced.

That's great. Over here it would be very difficult to avoid running Windows.
Mezron Jun 23, 2021
I have an Lineage OS Raspberry Pi 4 as my backyard HTPC with Fdroid and Gapps installed for gaming Stadia and RetroArch. It also has SimpleMusicPlayer, Netflix, Youtube-adless, Kanopy and Plex for watching stuff and listening to music.

I also have Lineage OS on my Samsung A51 phone with just Fdroid now. I removed Gapps once Stadia worked flawlessly via Browser on it.

I use UBTouch on a Google Nexus 5 as a back up phone, book reader and emulator.

I use AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition on a new NUC rig that I am setting up for my sun room.
PublicNuisance Jun 24, 2021
I have used various operating systems in the course of work but on systems I have owned I started with Windows 98; then moved to Windows XP; then moved to Windows Vista; then moved to Windows 7; tried out Windows 10 briefly before making the switch to Linux.

On Linux I started with Linux Mint then moved to Solus and then moved to Manjaro. For gaming systems I keep Majaro but for my non gaming systems I use Trisquel. Going to eventually move to strictly FOSS gaming at some point if my unhappiness with the current gaming market keeps up in which case Trisquel would be on all of my systems.

I have dabbled with OpenBSD and GhostBSD on my systems but in the end couldn't find a reason to keep them. Not bad operating systems at all but they didn't give me anything that a Linux distro couldn't but more importantly Linux could give me features that BSD couldn't (mainly around gaming). Gotta say I am really looking forward to see what the Hyperbola team does with their fork of the OpenBSD kernel in the next couple years.
slaapliedje Jun 24, 2021
I really began on the Atari 800XL with the various DOS versions there. First GUI I ran was on the Atari ST with GEM. Then ran a bit with the Amiga 500. Then onto Windows 95. Sometime after that I had really disliked Windows and wanted something more themable, and ran into Enlightenment DR13 and played with various Linux distributions, and fell in love with Debian, which I still use today.

Mostly from there gone from using Windows and various BSDs, Linux, etc.

My current rigs are Triple boot, Arch Linux, Debian Sid and Windows 10. Then I have 3 Amigas (running Kickstart 3.1.4), several Atari STs, many Atari 8bits, a few 8bit commodores, an Apple IIGS, a G4 macbook (with MorphOS / old OSX), some other old macs, a bunch of play around with thinkpads, etc.

It's been argued that I shouldn't have an opinion (that was apparently wrong that Windows 7 wasn't perfect) because I've used so many different systems, and not just Windows...

Either way, I like operating systems, recently installed RiscOS on an Rpi400.
BlooAlien Jun 25, 2021
Over the years I've used every operating system I could lay hands on, starting with AppleSoft BASIC on the Apple ][+ and moving on through Commodore 64, Atari ST, Commodore Amiga, Sun Microsystems server blades, various flavors of DOS and Windows up to Win7 Pro (I've tried Win10 on friends' systems and can't stand it), OS/2 Warp, MacOS, and a whole host of various Linux and Unix flavors.

Nowadays, I just stick with Linux, because it gets the job done and stays outta my way. Rarely do I have to fight with Linux even a little bit to get work done, and gaming is generally equally smooth for me too, thanks to things like WINE, Lutris, Proton, etc, as well as the massive pool of great Linux native games.

Last edited by BlooAlien on 25 June 2021 at 11:18 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.