Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Other then Linux what Operating systems Have you/Do you use?
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
tweakedenigma Sep 1, 2010
Other then Linux what Operating systems Have you/Do you use?

Over the years I have played with many. Out side of the many Linux distro's I have used:

Windows 3.11 to 7
Open/Free BSD
Mac OS 8 - X
Solaris and Open Solaris
OS/2 Warp (Still have it in the box in fact)
Amiga OS
Many versions of DOS
React OS
BeOS
NeXTSTEP
& Haiku

Out of all of the now defunct ones I mis Amiga and OS/2 the most. Maybe if I can find some hardware I will Give Amiga OS 4 a chance.
Hamish Sep 1, 2010
Re: Other then Linux what Operating systems Have you/Do you

Unfortunately MS DOS 6, Windows 3.1.1, Windows 95, Windows 98 SE, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003.

Other than that my experiments with other operating systems has been limited, though I have seen ReactOS in use.

As for the Linux versions I have used (not entirely on topic but still relevant), the first one I saw running was Slackware 8, the first one I used was Red Hat Linux 6, followed by Red Hat Linux 8. I have used quite a few versions of Knoppix, but I was turned off when they started including Compiz desktop effects. As for my main system, Fedora, I have used Fedora 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and currently 13. I have also played around with the niche distribution SuperGamer, and have also played around a bit with CentOS 5.
alexandrius Sep 1, 2010

awesome thread i liked it.
So here's the list of systems that i used to use:
Windows 98
Windows XP
Windows 7
Fedora 13 (didn't like it because of its repo and silly bugs)
Kubuntu
Slackware

Os-es that i've played with:
OpenSolaris
Haiku
PC-BSD
Linux Mint
MS-DOS 6 and 7
Windows 95
ReactOS
Knoppix
Slax
CentOS

That's it :)
MaximB Sep 1, 2010

Like everyone else my age I've used : DOS, Win 3.1, Win95, WinNT, Win98, Win2000, WinXP, Win2003 and a little bit of Vista and Win7.
As a Linux/Windows System Administrator I must use Windows sometimes, so I get my hands dirty with Win2003 most of the time. (and sometimes touch WinXP, Vista and 7 to help the users/losers).
But my "main" working machine is RHEL5.1 - which sucks as a desktop.
With this crappy distro I really have a hard time explaining the users why Linux is good.

At home I use Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit so I have no problems.
Liam Dawe Sep 1, 2010

Windows 95 through to 7, missed out Vista though.

Ubuntu since the first one.

Kubuntu once or twice...eww.

Mandrake 9 (before it was mandriva).

SuSE - a couple different versions.

MeeGo - Cool idea but doesn't work very well, Ubuntu Netbook Edition far better.

Amiga Workbench.
tweakedenigma Sep 1, 2010

I'm something of an OS nut, so I like to try just about everything I can get my hands on. I am trying to track down an old G4 Mac Mini to try out some of the PPC OSes that are still around.
levellord Jun 22, 2021
Besides Linux Mint as my main OS, I am using AmigaOS 4.1 FE Update 2 on AmigaOne X5000 and AmigaOS 3.2 on A4000. Both machines have dedicated desk and while 3.2 is used to mess around with the OS, play games and play mods, 4.1 I use as a productivity machine for drawing and learning Hollywood. That's it, no windows machine in my household (even my kids use Linux).
Dorrit Jun 22, 2021
Windows Vista and 7, Linux exclusively from then on, always Debian based.
Kuduzkehpan Jun 22, 2021
As an former it guy
Dos win 3.1 win95 win98 winME winXP win7 win10 (didnt like it over other wins.)

As linux wise
Mandrake mandriva
Slackware
Ubuntu+ derivatives
omicron-b Jun 22, 2021
That would be:
Windows 95 to 10 (dropped it soon after DXVK released)
Whatever Nokia phones ran on before Microsoft killed them
iOS on iPad provided at work in 2013, 2014
Whatever PlayStation 3 runs on (I'm playing it now, a friend gave it to me while he doesn't need it)

These days I only have a Windows system on a laptop provided at work.
gbudny Jun 22, 2021
From 2002 to 2004, I used Windows 98, Windows 2000, and Windows XP.

I used few Linux distributions since 2004 like Mepis, Aurox, Fedora, and Debian - the last one I used as the only operating system on my PC from 2005 to 2010.

Currently, I use mostly Mac OS X on the old Mac Mini Server and still switch to Debian and Ubuntu if it is necessary. There is also an old PC with Windows 10, which I have used for a few years that helps me to prepare for specific exams.

In my spare time, I learn how to use HP-UX (Itanium) that I installed on the old server.

In the future, I plan to buy a computer with AIX.

The most interesting OS that I tried to run on the VM is A/UX (Apple Unix), and we still don't have a fully functional VM for it - it is so SAD!

Last edited by gbudny on 22 June 2021 at 9:01 pm UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.