Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Do people still get that giddy feeling when a new game is announced to be having a Linux version?
Page: 1/3»
  Go to:
slaapliedje Apr 29, 2016
Maybe I've just been around for a long time, but I still remember being pissed when I'd see a game in a Magazine (remember those things?) that was coming out for the Commodore 64, but wasn't going to be available for the Atari 8-bit line of computers. Then the same thing happened with the war between Amiga and Atari ST, where a lot of the later games were Amiga only.

Then we had the the game consoles and things would be released for the newer SNES and not for the Genesis/MegaDrive. But you'd start to get that excited feeling when a new and possibly better version would come out for whatever platform you were using for gaming at the time.

But we've gotten such a huge flood of great games for Linux now, it seems gone are the days when we'd get a tiny trickle from Loki or LGP. Granted the so called triple A titles are hit and miss. A lot of which are announced for SteamOS/Linux, but then dropped (Batman!) or announced, then dropped, then maybe? (Mad Max). But now we finally have an official Tomb Raider port!

But do I really need to play through it again just to see if the fancy hair effects actually work without it being a slide show this time (I have a much better video card now).

I was just wondering if anyone else still gets that excited feeling when a new game is released for Linux, or if it's just become so regular it's almost expected (I think it certainly is for most 'indie' titles.)

Though I'd love it if just once we could get a whole series ported and released, like KOTOR 1 instead of just 2...
tuubi Apr 29, 2016
I get excited. Then I think of my fifty-strong wishlist and my poor wallet, and suddenly I'm a lot less excited.

Never had that problem of not getting to play the games I wanted though (had a C64, then Amiga before building my first PC, and my friends had the rest of the platforms covered between them), until I discovered how much I like all those console-only JRPG's. But that was some time in the early noughties, I was already running Linux and had pretty much given up on gaming, outside of some classics I played with ScummVM/dosbox etc.
slaapliedje Apr 29, 2016
I never understood some publishers who would ask for a port for one system and not the other, especially when it came to sequels. For example, the Amiga only ever had Phantasie 1 and 3 ported to it, while the Atari ST has 1-3.

So I'm hoping we get the newer Tomb Raider game that is the sequel to the one we just got.

I started off with Ultima 1, so never could get into the linear JRPGs. Though to this day I haven't really played Ultima 2, I've gone on and played the rest and loved them all. If I ever get time I should go through and win the ones I never did (2, 5, 6 (without cheating), 7, 8.) With the exception of 2, I was able to get really far in all of them, but then had lost my save games and haven't gotten back to them.
tuubi Apr 29, 2016
Quoting: slaapliedjeSo I'm hoping we get the newer Tomb Raider game that is the sequel to the one we just got.
Would be awesome indeed. I don't think it'll materialize any time soon though. I invite Feral to prove me wrong. :)

Quoting: slaapliedjeI started off with Ultima 1, so never could get into the linear JRPGs. Though to this day I haven't really played Ultima 2, I've gone on and played the rest and loved them all. If I ever get time I should go through and win the ones I never did (2, 5, 6 (without cheating), 7, 8.) With the exception of 2, I was able to get really far in all of them, but then had lost my save games and haven't gotten back to them.
I never got into Ultima, but I don't quite understand why. I think the farthest I got was in U4. I should try again as the game's free on GOG. Not for Linux, but it's a dosbox wrapper.
slaapliedje Apr 29, 2016
Check out xu4 http://xu4.sourceforge.net/ for Ultima 4 goodness. It's still my favorite CRPG of all time. Mainly because you couldn't just kill your way to the end.
tuubi Apr 29, 2016
Thanks! I'll definitely check it out. One less reason not to give the game another chance.
chuzzle44 Apr 29, 2016
Not to jump in on the conversation, but going back to the original question, I've lost a lot of the excitement I once had for new releases. It isn't that I'm not happy to see new games come to my platform, I love seeing Linux grow as a gaming platform. I'm just a little burned out on strategy, side-scrolling, rogue-like, pixel art, indie games. It seems like a vast majority of the games we get can be tagged with at least one of those terms.
When we do get more modern, action oriented games, AAA or otherwise, they either have terrible performance, are several years old, or both. We get Tomb Raider, years after release. Dying Light is practically unplayable for me.
And then there's the games that I just don't enjoy, but I don't have any other options. We have two racing games, Dirt Showdown and Grid Autosport. Showdown is a pitiful excuse for a rally game and Grid, while being a very well made game, I simply don't enjoy it. But what else can I play? Distance isn't what I want, the possibly upcoming Dirt Rally looks to be even more hardcore than Autosport, and while I don't know much about Formula One, I don't have high hopes.
Games I do want, MX vs ATV, Dirt 3, and the upcoming Riptide GP Renagade, don't show any signs of ever coming our way. I want GTA V and Sleeping Dogs, not bad ports of the ridiculous Saints Row games. I want new, action packed, single player, first and third person shooters. Not multiplayer. Not survival. Not bad ports of old games. It's all just really depressing. I'm still holding out hope though.
Sorry for the rant. It feels good to get my thoughts on the matter written down. Here's to Linux and the future of gaming, basically the same thing.
slaapliedje Apr 29, 2016
Jump in all you want, that's what I started the thread for.

There is a distinct feeling for some ports that is, "we gave you a port... but we can't be asked to make things like gamepads work, though they work great under Windows." situations. Hero Siege, I am looking at you....

In fact there have been several games where they tout full controller support, but the steam controller, or even a 360 controller aren't detected correctly and they crap out.

Granted the first few patches of Dark Souls 3 on Windows didn't detect gamepads correctly either.

I would love GTA games, Watchdogs, the Assassin's Creed series, etc portrd as well. If I want to play some pixelated goodness, I will fire up my heavily upgraded Amiga 4000d.
chuzzle44 Apr 29, 2016
Gamepad support. That right there is why I love my Steam Controller. Dirt Showdown wouldn't recognize it at first, so I just set it up to emulate a keyboard. Worked like a charm. I later fixed it by modifying a controller config file. I think they've fixed it now, but it is nice to know that I can set any button to be anything else. I have several games that recognize controllers, but require the escape key to bring up a menu in certain areas.
There are so very many games I want ported. GTA is at the top of the list, simply because I know it would provide the most enjoyment over time. I spent countless hours in Vice City back in the day. And if Sega ported some Sonic the Hedgehog games, I could die happy.
Hamish Apr 30, 2016
Last time I was excited for a new game was when the new Shadow Warrior came out for Linux. But yes, my enthusiasm has lessened, to the point that I do not really follow any upcoming games anymore, and just take things as they come for the most part.

I am spending most of my time replaying old favourites anyway.
Spl-it Apr 30, 2016
Quoting: HamishI am spending most of my time replaying old favourites anyway.

This.
I was excited for new titles in the beginning..

I found myself hardly playing any of those titles, I always go back to quake 3 and unreal tournament 2004, xonotic, transport tycoon, and a bit of parkitect.

It sure has taken away the need to upgrade my hardware that's for sure.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.