Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Do people still get that giddy feeling when a new game is announced to be having a Linux version?
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
slaapliedje May 2, 2016
Ha, I randomly get the need to play some of the great old RPGs. The new expansion for Baldur's Gate made me want to play that, until all the reviews came in saying it was a broken mess.

Friends of mine tried playing it multiplayer and it was horrible. So I whipped out Exult and started playing Ultima 7 again! A true classic. But I still need to beat Dying Light (I was stuck on getting the Bolter for so long... finally got one.)

I just wish I had more time to play games. And with my Vive appearing tomorrow, I'm not sure how many Linux games I'll be playing. I still need to test to see if ARK in Linux works with it at all.
Shmerl May 2, 2016
In my experience, around half of them are DRMed. So when they are not - it's exciting.
slaapliedje May 2, 2016
GOG needs to wrap more of their dosbox games to have friendly installers in Linux. I'd play the hell out of Dungeon Hack if/when they do. Having to basically extract it via Wine is kind of annoying.
Liam Dawe May 2, 2016
I always get excited about the bigger games, not so much the indie games.
Shmerl May 2, 2016
Quoting: slaapliedjeGOG needs to wrap more of their dosbox games to have friendly installers in Linux. I'd play the hell out of Dungeon Hack if/when they do. Having to basically extract it via Wine is kind of annoying.

You know that you don't need Wine for that, right? You can use innoextract.
Shmerl May 3, 2016
Later Elder Scrolls stopped being interesting RPGs to my taste. The last good one was Morrowind :) Too much mass market appeal. So I simply wouldn't care if they come out for Linux or not. It's not likely that I'll ever buy them.
GustyGhost May 3, 2016
I get excited whenever a game I already own finds it's way to the porting houses. Here is a personal list I've been maintaining so far:

Ports on Steam
Road Redemption: ✔
Payday 2: ✔
Saint's Row 2 ✔
Saint's Row The Third ✔
Saint's Row IV: ✔
Reflex Planned, no date yet
Terraria ✔
Tomb Raider 2013 ✔

Ports on GOG
Age of Wonders III Exists, on Steam
Megabyte Punch ✔
Aliens vs Predator Exists, on icculus.org
Strike Suit Zero Exists, on Humble Bundle
Shadow Warrior 2013 ✔
KotOR II Ported, "In talks with GOG"
Overlord Virtual Programming Current State: Alpha

Every check mark represents a game I "gave up" when I switched to Linux back in Feb 2015 which was later ported to Linux, thus, back into my hands. That said, the more well-known a game is the more exciting I find the announcement. Every big title is one more point toward making Linux gaming a viable option.
wolfyrion May 3, 2016
I have been playing games since ages a ago :D
Whatever genre or style of games you can think of it I have already played it commodore,Amiga,Arcade,Consoles(I still have my first Xbox),dos Games etc.
At that age I was excited with every game that was gonna get released.
I was getting every game magazine that was available in order to get a demo of the new game.
Every game that was getting out was different from all other games so it was unique and I had to play it ! :D

After year 2005 on PC Gaming --> the chaos
The only game that excited me was obvious World of Warcraft because it was something unique at that age.

After that I cant find any single game that is unique of its style.
Most of the games are repetition of old games or re master ports or copy cat of older games but with better graphics but totally fail at gameplay.

Some indie developers are trying some new ideas , I am trying their games but is not enough.
Maybe I am getting old :'(
is just that I am not getting excited with a release of a new game as I used to do so because is the same story all over again.

NEW FPS -> You have a gun and killing people
SURVIVAL --> You are someone in an island or in an apocalypse enviroment and you are trying to survive , find food and resources. Either vs Zombies or Dinos or any other elements
TURN BASED STRATEGY --> Take Turns in order to accomplish your mission
Fighting Games --> Another copy cat of old arcade fighting games just with better graphics or online gaming
and so one.......

I need UNIQUENESS!!!
some games manage to do this but not on Linux yet so I am just waiting

just check the below link and you will understand what I am talking about ^_^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises
Mountain Man May 11, 2016
I get a bit less excited about newly announced Linux games these days but only because I have a huge Steam wishlist that I could never afford in its entirety and a sizable backlog of Linux games I currently own. I really need to stop buying games and just play through the ones I already have. I've promised myself that Hearts of Iron IV will be my last game purchase for a while, and then I'll focus on DLC and expansion packs for my current library. We'll see how that goes.

(Yeah, a Linux gamer complaining about having too many games to play. Who thought we'd ever see the day?)
Plintslîcho May 11, 2016
Quoting: Hamish[...] my enthusiasm has lessened, to the point that I do not really follow any upcoming games anymore, and just take things as they come for the most part.

I am spending most of my time replaying old favourites anyway.

Exactly the same here.

I still enjoy playing computer games, but they don't get my excited or glue me to the monitor like they used to do. My time of computer gaming is long over.

But the industry has made things very easy for me anyway; as Shmerl has already pointed out, nowadays most games are released on Steam, which I don't like, and tied to some form of DRM, which I don't accept. So, there's not much (in gaming) to get excited about these days anyway.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.