Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
No 144 Hz for Layers of Fear or Trine 2
PublicNuisance Jun 11, 2016
When I boot into Windows I get an option to run these games in 144 Hz. Linux only sees 60 Hz for Layers of Fear and Trine 2 is locked to 30 FPS for me. Tried this on multiple systems. Any ideas or suggestions ?
tuubi Jun 11, 2016
Trine 2 has an internal FPS limiter that on Linux defaults to on. Here's a forum thread on the subject I easily googled for you. You can disable the limiter by fiddling with the game's config file. Though I think anything above 60Hz in a 2.5D puzzle platformer is a pointless waste of energy.
PublicNuisance Jun 11, 2016
Quoting: tuubiTrine 2 has an internal FPS limiter that on Linux defaults to on. Here's a forum thread on the subject I easily googled for you. You can disable the limiter by fiddling with the game's config file. Though I think anything above 60Hz in a 2.5D puzzle platformer is a pointless waste of energy.

60 still beats 30 so for me I wouldn't call it a waste. If it was 60 I may have been able to live with it as it was. Thank you for the link and the assistance.
tuubi Jun 12, 2016
You're welcome. :)
PublicNuisance Jul 10, 2016
So I have had time to try to get support from the developer of both games (well Aspyr handles tech support for Layers of Fear). What a world of difference.

Frozenbyte's response for Trine 2:

"The Linux version is quite different so it's possible there is such a difference. It also has higher system requirements.

Unfortunately we don't have any patches planned so there most likely won't be a fix. If you didn't yet, you could still try if changing the game's options would raise the FPS, but otherwise I unfortunately don't have suggestions.

Cheers!"

Aspyr's response for Layers of Fear:

"QA has investigated the issue and has been indeed able to replicate it.

This issue has now been bugged and will hopefully be updated in a future update.

A definite ETA is not yet known at this time, but if you are subscribed to our newsletter or like our FB page, you will be notified of any and all updates.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Please feel free to contact us with any further issues or questions."

Can't say Frozenbyte's response inspres conficence to buy future games of theirs.
tuubi Jul 10, 2016
Keep in mind that one of the games was released for Linux in 2012 and hasn't seen an update in ages, whereas the other is a relatively recent release and still in active development. I'm not saying that Frozenbyte couldn't have handled this better, but I'd be very surprised to see a patch for Trine 2 at this point, especially to fix a problem that's far from game-breaking.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.