You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
Cheap spare keyboard only takes one keypress at a time
Silas Mortimer Jul 19, 2016
My main keyboard got coffee spilled on it by someone *cough* and I only had one spare left. This isn't the biggest deal and I plan on replacing the better keyboard very soon, but the spare has a very odd behavior.

It's a Microsoft (groooooan... I know, but it was something someone just left with me) Comfort Curve 2000 and it does not like multiple keypresses. For instance: In L4D2, I can press W or S to go forward or back, or I can press A or D to strafe left or right, but I cannot move forward or back WHILE strafing left or right. And I have to lift my finger off of any of those in order to hit R for reload or SPACE for jump. Now, I can press CTRL for crouch and still move, with all the limitations from before, but any other combination just ignores the second key.

That can't be right, can it? There's got to be some setting that allows it to work correctly, if not all that well.

In case it matters, I'm running openSUSE 42.1 with KDE and I have the correct keyboard set up in systemsettings.
damarrin Jul 20, 2016
That comes as a surprise, MS usually make (brand?) great hardware. Have you tried connecting it to another computer with another system (gasp!) to see how it works?
Ehvis Jul 20, 2016
So basically cheap keyboards aren't worth anything. I remember the annoying space+left+up combination not working. That ends your retro gaming in emulators plan. I responded by getting a mechanical keyboard and never getting a cheap thing again.
Silas Mortimer Jul 21, 2016
damarrin: I don't have another system to connect it to.

Ehvis: Well, my main keyboard (a Roccat Isku) wasn't mechanical, but it handled everything I threw at it just fine. The spare was something someone else left here after I fixed their computer.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.