Shmerl Sep 4, 2016
Also, check out trailers for TW2. I like this one (Chopin is so good):

Hope.
View video on youtube.com

Two others:

Love & Blood.

Disdain and Fear.
chuzzle44 Sep 5, 2016
Quoting: ShmerlYes, and if you didn't play the first yet - play it as well (Wine). I like it even more.

That's a bit of an issue for me. I simply refuse to pay for a game that isn't available on Linux, regardless of how well it runs in wine. That being said, I don't like pirating games, especially from a developer like this. And yes, I'm well aware that piracy is wrong. I've only done it for a handful of windows-only games, a few of which later became available on Linux and I now own.

I don't care if a game is wrapped in wine. I've purchased games like that before. I just expect a developer to put in the effort themselves. I want to know that I can contact the developer for assistance. I don't mind fixing problems myself, just not for anything I paid for.

I pretty much feel like this about most things. I used to pirate music before I used Spotify, convenience beats everything. Even those games I did pirate were before Steam for Linux. With so many games out now, I can't really be bothered. Still, having only the second entry in a trilogy is frustrating.
Shmerl Sep 5, 2016
I prefer DRM-free stores for music (Bandcamp), plus I like to always buy it in FLAC. Spotify is DRMed, and I avoid such distributors.

Regarding TW1 - ask around. It's often on sale or available from some bonuses and etc. People have free keys for it, so someone can give you one. I gave away a few keys for Witcher games in the past.

Anyway, there is a point not to buy Windows only games, if there is a chance developers will release it for Linux. But when such chances are low (like in case of old games) - it won't do anything. So you can as well buy it. And while they released TW1 for OS X using eON wrapper, I doubt they'll release it for Linux.

Also, if you don't want to consider it as purchase for Wine, you can buy TW1 to help project Xoreos: https://xoreos.org
tuubi Sep 5, 2016
I bought the first two Witchers as a bundle in a sale ages ago, I think I paid somewhere around 10 € for them. I'd never buy a Windows game just to play in Wine though. I promise I'll give TW1 another try as soon as it works with Xoreos, but the first time I did I just couldn't get into it. I'm sure the story is fine, but at least in the beginning the gameplay just wasn't as good as in the sequel.
Shmerl Sep 5, 2016
Quoting: tuubiI'm sure the story is fine, but at least in the beginning the gameplay just wasn't as good as in the sequel.

Rhythmic combat is said to be confusing to some, but you can get into it, and it's not that bad.
Mblackwell Sep 6, 2016
The trick to TW1 combat is to switch to Group Style (only fight groups!) and spam click. Everything magically falls down dead.
Shmerl Sep 6, 2016
Not really, if you are playing on hard especially. Group style produces less damage. The trick is to time your attack to get powerful combos.
tuubi Sep 6, 2016
It wasn't the combat. The timed attacks stuff is pretty much universal nowadays, and I can handle it just fine. I don't enjoy it, but I didn't enjoy the combat much in TW2 either. Or in Shadow of Mordor. I can live with it though. (I wish someone was brave enough to develop a modern open world RPG without any combat at all.)

I didn't intend my comments on the game as criticism. More like sharing my personal experience. I might enjoy it more now that I've played the sequel and read some of the literature. Maybe if I run out of actual Linux games to play? Won't be soon though...
Mblackwell Sep 6, 2016
Quoting: ShmerlNot really, if you are playing on hard especially. Group style produces less damage. The trick is to time your attack to get powerful combos.

Group style has a weird bug that seems to stack damage if you spam it, so enemies will die very quickly.
Grifter Sep 6, 2016
Quoting: tuubi(I wish someone was brave enough to develop a modern open world RPG without any combat at all.)

Well, I don't know about modern exactly... A Tale In The Desert is an open-world mmorpg without combat, it's been around for over ten years though it has changed iterations during that time. I played it way back when in the beta, not exactly my type of game, but assuming they stuck to their core ideas it might be perfect for you.

http://atitd.com
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.