Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Steam Controller Various Questions
Purple Pudding Sep 12, 2016
So, I read very well of the Steam Controller (SC), and I decided to buy one.
I use a laptop for gaming and sometimes I use a gamepad if I need it (I own a generic PS3 one + another older ps3-like gamepad that is probably broken :D ).

I have some questions first:

1) When it will become on sale?
It seems a stupid question but I wanted to know if there are possibilities of a sale around Autumn...Why? Shipping around Christmas time (when it's pratically sure it will be on sale) isn't ideal since of possible delays and holidays away from home... [by the way I'm in Italy]

2) from the last news it seems to work as a mouse out-of-the-box only on steamos and needs the Steam Controller UI to work without Stem open... Am I right?

3) It's possible to use it with a generic PS3 controller for local multyplayer? (I think it depends on the game though)

4)how is it using it? What are you experiences? How it is, for example, with Rocket League?

5)about the SC UI I know that you can use the SC as a SC or as a Xbox one... you can also assign keyboard keys to the gamepad?

6) Can you buy it outside steam? Where?

7)When steam says "complete support for a controller" the SC should have at least one working configuration right? And when it says "partial support for a controller"?

8)Why Steam don't have any Linux game to buy with the Steam Controller?

For now these are my question... I will add others if needed...

Thanks for the answers!

PP
Liam Dawe Sep 12, 2016
1) Likely winter sale

2) Currently there is an issue with the wireless, you need to have Steam open for it to work. With USB it works without Steam. Bug report is here.

3) Don't get what you're asking?

4) Perfection with rocket league

5) Looks like with the open source SC Controller you can assign buttons to the keyboard yes

6) https://www.google.co.uk/#q=steam+controller&safe=off&tbm=shop (google seriously is your friend for such things)

7) full controller support means nothing else is needed, partial means obviously only partial support, a mouse may be needed for a menu, the steam controller ignores all of that, since it emulates everything

8) Uh, I think you mean "why doesn't steam give you a Linux game with the Steam Controller?" odd question, but Valve have given away games with it before, rocket league being one of them
Ehvis Sep 12, 2016
3) Linux itself has no problems with many controllers in parallel. So it's up to the game to support it.

8) I bought mine with XCOM 2, which was a day 1 Linux release.
Guppy Sep 13, 2016
3)
It's just another input device so the game should have no problem with you mix and matching.

4)
I think it's very good for the following games;

Bastion, Portal (1/2/Mel), Talos Principle, Action Henk, Super tux cart, Tiny keep, GRID Autosport ( game sucked but controll was good XD ), Magic 2 ( game kept showing the wrong button icons, which is aparently a steam bug ).

It's workable (single player) but ultimately sub-par for FPS games;

Dying Light, Bio Shock Infinite.

I wouldn't dream of trying to use it for online competitive fps.

(Disclaimer: I grew up with computers not consoles so the very concept of a controller is alien to me, hence my view may be slightly skewed )

6) The partnership with gamestop was widely advertised; https://www.gamestop.it/Varie/Games/93173/steam-controller
other local hardware/game shops may also carry it - like it's been said, google is your friend ;)

7) No "complete controller support" does NOT include the steam controller - you can however usually make a working keybind anyway.

See here : http://steamcommunity.com/app/353370/discussions/0/358415738200040289

8) The bundles are arranged with the game developers, IIRC there was a Dying Light bundle at one point.
Liam Dawe Sep 14, 2016
I think Dying Light is the only game where I had real problems with the Steam Controller, I just couldn't do the swiping actions needed during combat with the pad. Need to try it again really I do have the DLC to finish...
Julius Sep 14, 2016
Does anyone else have issues with inconsistent steam controller support outside of the big screen mode?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.