Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Piracy on Linux.
Page: «5/5
  Go to:
reaVer Oct 11, 2016
Quoting: whm1974I've been wondering how common is game piracy is with Linux users and how we can discourage this. Now before I started using Linux I would pirate games without a second thought, however since then I brought all my Linux games even as far back when Loki was still around.

Now I want developers to port more AAA games over to our platform and so I want to remind my fellow users to buy the games and piracy will kill Linux as a gaming platform if it becomes widespread.
If you actually did your research you would understand that the very thing that has brought the gaming industry the success it has is piracy. It's relatively lax attitude to crackers and torrenters is what has allowed the game industry to flourish. This concept is dragged as far as to make games free to play because people spreading games makes it so a lot of people play your games. Those that have money will support the developer. GOG is providing games drm-free because of this.

We can even drag it a step further, if you'd force your entire demographic to pay for their games, noone under 18 would be playing video games because they got no money and child labor is illegal. Communities wouldn't be as large, games would be less enticing to play. No, if anything, piracy and trust in the consumer is the best thing that could happen to Linux; even the humble bundle reflects this concept.
reaVer Oct 11, 2016
I now also saw the *reasons* comment. I stand by what I said, do not buy games that may break with the next wine release. If a company claims it is unprofitable to port to this platform, it should have no complaints about you playing their games for free. Because otherwise, there is a profit loss and therefore it would be profitable to port to Linux and that means the publisher/developer is lying to our faces. Now, would you buy a car from a person lying to your face? Why would that be any different for games?
m2mg2 Oct 11, 2016
Quoting: thelimeydragon
Quoting: m2mg2Since moving to Linux I even bought office 365, so I can make docs in Linux people using Microsoft Office can view properly (I may abandon it if they start advertising through it, which I have a feeling is coming. I also don't trust it for sensitive docs since Microsoft probably logs every word you type and their EULA allows them to do what they want with it). I'd like them to make standard office for Linux as I really don't like the concept of 365.

Sorry to be off topic but I highly recommend 'WPS Office' for Linux. Free for Linux and has the best OpenXML (docx/xlsx/etc) support you can get under Linux.

I looked into WPS Office but I'm not thrilled that the developers are Chinese and that the program is not open source, only freeware. Also only the Linux seems to be freeware, the Windows version appears to be shareware. You install it and it automatically activates a trial, at the end of the trial it turns into limited edition with watermarks unless you purchase a subscription. Their subscription model seems a lot like Microsoft's and I didn't read it but I doubt their EULA is much better. I think I'll stick with LibreOffice with a very seldom used side of Office 365.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.