Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Piracy on Linux.
Page: 1/5»
  Go to:
whm1974 Oct 6, 2016
I've been wondering how common is game piracy is with Linux users and how we can discourage this. Now before I started using Linux I would pirate games without a second thought, however since then I brought all my Linux games even as far back when Loki was still around.

Now I want developers to port more AAA games over to our platform and so I want to remind my fellow users to buy the games and piracy will kill Linux as a gaming platform if it becomes widespread.
I think illegal games are against the culture of most of the Linux users...
Otherwise, in Windows users, the illegal is the rule and the legal is the exception...

I bet 80% of Steam 4 Windows users run their games on an illegal/ cracked version, just because the games need windows, and not because they like Windows.....

I believe that if gonna use Windows because you love videogames, You have to buy it...
Im about to install a legal Windows 7 SP1 OEM on a machine.. It cost me about 200 U$D (that is the price in Argentina)

Plus, how many no-steam cracks for Linux are available out there?
whm1974 Oct 6, 2016
Personally I think $200 for a copy of Windows is a bit high and that is good reason by itself to install Linux. But that is a subject for another thread.

And I hope you right about pirating games is against the culture of most Linux users.
Liam Dawe Oct 6, 2016
Pirating is likely just as bad on Linux as it is on Windows.

I've repeatedly seen a few people in our comments claim piracy is okay for *reasons*

The best way is to call these people out on their idiocy. Make sure they know not many share their opinion and so on.
whm1974 Oct 6, 2016
Since our platform is much smaller then Windows, piracy will have a very large effect of discouraging developers on porting game over to Linux. I really don't want to have to be using Windows again to play games.
badber Oct 6, 2016
Quoting: liamdawePirating is likely just as bad on Linux as it is on Windows.

I've repeatedly seen a few people in our comments claim piracy is okay for *reasons*

The best way is to call these people out on their idiocy. Make sure they know not many share their opinion and so on.

I don't do it and I'm sure most of the people who do are mostly driven by not having to pay. I see just buying as much more convenient for the relatively small price you have to pay anyway and I'd like to see more releases of games on Linux so it makes sense to pay for them. That said, making the issue that simple is what I'd rather describe with that word.

It's an operating system that was strongly influenced by a movement that has the philosophy that not sharing software is unethical. It's not at all suprising if there are people that see piracy not just as ok but as the right thing to do.
m2mg2 Oct 6, 2016
Quoting: liamdawePirating is likely just as bad on Linux as it is on Windows.

Have you seen evidence of software piracy on Linux?

I've never seen pirated software for Linux (hack tools are a different issue and aren't related to piracy). Except for Windows cracks that people use on Windows versions of games/software through Wine. Because Linux itself and most of the software on it being free, from what I've seen if a company releases a good product people want that can't be replaced with a equally capable free version they buy it. Since moving to Linux I even bought office 365, so I can make docs in Linux people using Microsoft Office can view properly (I may abandon it if they start advertising through it, which I have a feeling is coming. I also don't trust it for sensitive docs since Microsoft probably logs every word you type and their EULA allows them to do what they want with it). I'd like them to make standard office for Linux as I really don't like the concept of 365.

I have no respect for Microsoft since they have no respect for me as a customer. Same goes for DRM schemes, I don't respect developers that expect you to let them install what basically amounts to rootkits to install their games. For Linux if a game wants root privilege to install a rootkit so I can play the game, I will be requesting a refund. Linux respects me as a user and I would never pirate anything that runs on Linux.
whm1974 Oct 6, 2016
I slowly stopped pirating software ever since I started using FOSS.
m2mg2 Oct 6, 2016
Yeah. It is kind of annoying, I do everything for myself in LibreOffice which is most of my work and don't pay for the software. Then I have pay this stupid yearly fee to edit a few documents here and there for other people. That's what happens when consumers and big companies are complicit with vendor lock in. I just exported to pdf when I was in school and made the professors accept, it isn't like they were paying me to write their reports and it wasn't like they were buying the software. Now I'm getting paid and they want docs, docs they can read and edit properly formatted.
Ehvis Oct 6, 2016
Piracy is an interesting phenomenon. It starts when you are young and don't have any money, but still want games/software. Add in availability and off you go. After that it often turns into more of an addiction where you're ultimately working on completing your "collection" of software, but never really use it.

By then it's second nature. It doesn't stop until you change your attitude towards it and have some disposable income. I've been completely free of pirated software (well, almost, one exception) for a while and even bought a whole bunch of games on Steam to settle a 'debt'.
m2mg2 Oct 6, 2016
I did have a serious question though. Who has actually seen pirated Linux software, not Windows software people pirated through Wine? If you have how much of it?

I don't want to know where it is as I have no interest in it, I'm just curious if it actually exists in any substantial amount.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.