Original War Steam version
wojtek88 Oct 9, 2016
Hi guys,
I try to make Original War (Steam version) run on Wine. Some time ago I was able to play this game on Ubuntu 14.04 with Wine 1.7.19 (version taken from WineDB.
Now I tried to install it once again on Ubuntu 16.04 and no matter which version of Wine I pick, The result is similar - I always am able to install Steam and download the game.
When I launch the game, I see an intro and the game crashes (or the game does not start).
Here is the log of game launch on Wine 1.8.4:
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/eba3639c499c42b4c74503919d41a218
manero666 Oct 9, 2016
Did you try running the game on a virtual desktop?

I think I fixed the X error by running the game with a virtual desktop, select the right resolution and then deselect the virtual desktop option. But I'm not sure this was the solution, I can't remember :S:

Never saw the other errors, so I can't help you with them
wojtek88 Oct 9, 2016
I've managed to run the game before your response, unfortunately in window mode. If I use virtual desktop, game seems to ignore picked resolution. So currently I see this: As an alternative I have blue background as most of the page, because in virtual desktop mode game seems to pick very low resolution.
manero666 Oct 9, 2016
If you press Alt+Enter the game should go fullscreen, but it will still maintain its wrong resolution

edit: I found this page with some parameters that can be added to the launcher
wojtek88 Oct 9, 2016
Quoting: manero666If you press Alt+Enter the game should go fullscreen, but with it will still mantain wrong resolution

edit: I found this page with some parameters that can be added to the launcher
Great, thank you @manero666 I was able to run the game fullscreen with command:
WINEPREFIX=~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/OriginalWar/ WINEARCH=win32 ~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/OriginalWar/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Original\ War/OwarOGL_DEBUG.exe sameres customres 1600 900
However there is one issue in menu:

But I can live with it. Thank you, I take my Steam Controller and start to enjoy the game!
Colombo Oct 9, 2016
Steam Controller? What? This game?

Be sure to download all patches (as I am reading them, seems like there is even OpenGL renderer):
http://www.owsupport.com/?sect=patches
wojtek88 Oct 11, 2016
Quoting: ColomboSteam Controller? What? This game?
Of course! I'm learning the controller and game seems to be perfect - RTS so it requires a quick action, but also it has a pause functionality so I can do some stuff without a rush.
Quoting: ColomboBe sure to download all patches (as I am reading them, seems like there is even OpenGL renderer):
http://www.owsupport.com/?sect=patches
Thanks for pointing this out, sure will do!
Thanks guys for help, topic can be closed.
Colombo Oct 12, 2016
QuoteOf course! I'm learning the controller and game seems to be perfect - RTS so it requires a quick action, but also it has a pause functionality so I can do some stuff without a rush.

Well, I remember playing Arabs in MP, and given Arabs are rush or no go, I had a lot to do even with mouse:P
wojtek88 Oct 12, 2016
Nobody said I will succeed :)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.