Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
XCOM 2 Mods
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
edddeduck_feral Nov 1, 2016
Quoting: NovenTheHeroYeah I can understand the frustration, but I cannot see what I have done significantly differently than other users. I have tried using a different version of Ubuntu (14.04,16.04,16.10), tried using a different display manager (Unity and Kwin), tried manually installing mods, and uninstalling them and reinstalling the game after verifying the game a bizzilion times.

Could it be a file system issue (grabbing at straws)? I use XFS instead of the common ext4. I also use a SSD, but I am sure a bagillion other users do so as well.

XFS does sounds like something we don't see very often at all. In fact I can't think of the last time we saw an XFS partition in a support report.

Could you try an EXT4 partition if possible? That might be the trigger we need to get to the cause of the issue. Please make sure you email Sam with the results too so our support team can investigate and follow up as I can't guarantee one of us will be in the forums all the time.

Edwin
NovenTheHero Nov 1, 2016
Well I guess when I get home I will be reformatting my /home partition hahah.

EDIT: I just don't see how more people do not have XFS. Is t just because it is not the default option during install? I have used JFS before and I had the same issue.
Werflefougs Nov 1, 2016
sounds good. now I'm on Windows but soon I will switch to Linux and I will try it out, maybe even my depression would end and I'm not gonna depend on wellbutrin coupon anymore, who knows? :D games really make me escape depression
Liam Dawe Nov 1, 2016
To be fair, I've heard a fair few times over the last year that XFS has caused issues in other games too, I really wouldn't be surprised if that was the cause of it.
NovenTheHero Nov 2, 2016
You know, I didn't want to believe it, but switching to EXT4 solved the issue. I have NEVER heard of a file system being this sort of game-breaker. I guess I found a bug/design feature that others should avoid: USE EXT4 with XCOM2.

Thank you Feral-buds.
edddeduck_feral Nov 2, 2016
Quoting: NovenTheHeroYou know, I didn't want to believe it, but switching to EXT4 solved the issue. I have NEVER heard of a file system being this sort of game-breaker. I guess I found a bug/design feature that others should avoid: USE EXT4 with XCOM2.

Thank you Feral-buds.

Thanks! We'll add the info to our "weird stuff" Linux list :)
Mountain Man Nov 2, 2016
That is a weird one. I would have never suspected it. Does anybody know the technical reason why XFS might cause certain software to break?
NovenTheHero Nov 2, 2016
I don't know what it could be, but I would love to know as well. The game works fine; mods just don't work in-game with XFS.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.