Valve and game prices on Steam.
Page: «2/2
  Go to:
wojtek88 Nov 23, 2016
Quoting: JuliusHmm, maybe they changed regional pricing for Poland, or you were switching to a German ISP or such? Shouldn't prices in Poland be displayed in Zlotys?

The higher prices you mention look like the regular German/western European prices... you guys in eastern Europe are just lucky that you can get games really cheap on Steam (basically subsidized by German gamers :p ).
I hate when someone says that Poland is in eastern Europe (however, I have nothing against eastern Europe).

Anyway, I've never seen game price in zloty on Steam, GOG introduced it few months ago, but never heard about Steam doing it.

Quoting: JuliusIn some other countries it is even more crazy, for example in the Philippines every game is basically 75% off all the time, and during sales you get an additional discount like everyone else (so top quality games often only cost less than a 1€). The downside is that some games are region locked, so you can only used them if you log into your steam account in south-east Asia. And before you ask: no it has gotten pretty difficult & risky to fake being in a cheap country via a VPN/proxy or such (in the Philippines you need to link your account to a local mobile phone for example).
From my perspective buying games from other regions via VPN in order to pay 1 euro for it if it is super expensive for your region is not better than stealing it. Just my opinion.

I am mad that the prices of the digital copies of games are expensive in general. But it does not mean I feel that it is ok to cheat developer and pay price that is not for you.

The other topic is - why the same product in digital version (so with no obvious additional costs) has so different prices for different regions.
tuubi Nov 23, 2016
Quoting: wojtek88The other topic is - why the same product in digital version (so with no obvious additional costs) has so different prices for different regions.
So consumers in less affluent markets can actually buy games. Might feel a bit unfair towards the rest of us, but it does make sense that you'd sell at a price people are able (and willing) to pay. For digitally distributed, non-physical (and non-essential) products this is basically a no-brainer. Stuff has always been more expensive in richer countries, and those additional costs are only part of the picture.
Julius Nov 24, 2016
Uhm, not to derail the thread into politics, but according to most commonly used definitions Poland is right in eastern Europe... and this is not based on geography but history, with it being part of the east bloc.
You are probably referring to the recently again more common term "central Europe", but this term is highly disputed and usually used by people with a historically revisionist agenda. And especially for Poland I would be careful with it, as in Germany people basically only use the term central Europe in the sense of "since Germany is the center of Europe" it should also decide most things or (mostly for older people) in the sense of "most of Poland (and the Baltics) is actually Germany and we should get the these territories back from them".
Both are quite right-wings positions I don't agree with... but especially as someone from Poland I would be careful using the same terms as those groups mentioned above.

Edit: I am surprised Poland even allows prices to be displayed in anything other than their legal currency. Most sovereign countries forbid this with good reasons (mainly to avoid parallel currencies not under their control). How it the VAT displayed in the checkout? Is Steam seriously displaying Polish tax payments in euros?
tuubi Nov 24, 2016
Quoting: JuliusYou are probably referring to the recently again more common term "central Europe", but this term is highly disputed and usually used by people with a historically revisionist agenda.
It's a term commonly used in mainstream media all over the world, although it does mean different things to different people. I'm sure it may be a politically loaded term for you, but at least in my non-central part of Europe it has a rather neutral connotation. Seems like pretty much everyone means a different thing by it, and Wikipedia's definition is as good as any. (spoiler: Poland is on the list.)
Julius Nov 24, 2016
Heh, don't trust wikipedia on controversial definition topics :) But yeah, of course on can argue Poland is objectively speaking close to the center of Europe... my point is a different one: the people who to my knowledge first started to consistently refer to Germany and some neighboring countries to the east of it as central Europe, did so with a clear and very questionable agenda. And they already did so well before the dissolution of the east block when I am sure everyone in your not so central European country was referring to Poland as eastern Europe.

The term itself sounds innocent enough of course, and thus you can easily hide your true intentions behind it, with naive voters not even realizing what the term entails historically speaking.

I am not really for banning certain expressions and so on, but if they are consistently used by certain interested groups to downplay and hide their actual agenda, I think it is worth considering to not play into their hands by arguing through using the same terms (as that becomes both confusing and since language forms thoughts, one can easily get into the situation where the argument is totally framed by forces you don't want to have that power).
wojtek88 Nov 24, 2016
@Julius, you're from Germany, aren't you? Only person from Germany could write something like this. From my side EOT.
Regarding price in Euro - I'm not a lawyer - I'm not 100% sure if it's legal or not.
hyoxu Nov 24, 2016
removed
nate Nov 27, 2016
I just got all three Trine games for $8.04 in the current Steam sale, which is 86% off the standard US price for them. There are some good deals right now... I love the stylized fantasy artwork in those Trine games.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.