Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal, Liberapay or Buy us a Coffee. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
Favourite Linux IDE?
Page: «3/11»
  Go to:
Ben D 25 Nov, 2016

Quoting: ColomboCan you suggest me lightweight IDE that has that whispering and documentation? (and autocompletion)?
Atom (https://atom.io/ is very clean and lightweight, and supports quite a lot of features through extensions.

Mashard4 30 Nov, 2016

Sublime Text 3 works great for me.

wojtek88 30 Nov, 2016

I use IntelliJ IDEA for all my Java work and I wouldn't change it for any other IDE.

Eike 30 Nov, 2016

I'm using (if I find time and motivation after programming on Windows at work) Eclipse CDT.

edo 30 Nov, 2016

Netbeans is my favorite, definitely. I just have to add a GTK UI configuration to make it looks nice and it make it alot better

SeeK 30 Nov, 2016

Wow.... surprised nobody has mentioned Codelite.

I've used just about every text editor & IDE out there, Codelite is what I've stuck with.

Trump 12 Dec, 2016

For quick or small projects I tend to use Nano with tmux + other crap. Other times I use Atom.io

StackMasher 15 Dec, 2016

xed, make, and gcc

amatai 15 Dec, 2016

I use vim too on a daily basis. I'm surprised so few people here use it.

Corben 19 Dec, 2016

I used to work with Eclipse, but it felt heavy and getting slower with each update. At work we have a special version of micro emacs, which still is an IDE, as you can compile your C programs from it and jump into the code when having errors.
For minor changes on text files, I just use vim... but meanwhile my favorite editor is Sublime Text 3.
I've found a video tutorial online, called Perfect Workflow with Sublime Text, and that showed my how awesome Sublime Text is.
Meanwhile Atom.io might be also quite similar, or even Microsoft's Visual Code... but I still stick with Sublime Text, as I payed the license fee (imho it's totally worth it) and got so used to it, that I don't want to have any other editor again.
It lacks some features big IDEs have, but I can get along with that.

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Patreon, Liberapay or PayPal Donation.

We have no adverts, no paywalls, no timed exclusive articles. Just good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Twitter Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.

Livestreams & Videos
Community Livestreams