You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page!
Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures we have no timed articles and no paywalls. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can support us on Paypal and Liberapay!
  Go to:
Favourite Linux IDE?
BlackBloodRum commented on 22 November 2016 at 11:50 am UTC

Hey Guys!

This forum has no topics?! Okay! Solution!

What is your favourite Linux IDE and why?

Personally, I now prefer "Geany" simply because it is fast and lightweight and "just works" I used to love Eclipse but release after release it just felt heavier, slower and slower in the end I ditched it and went Geany. Honestly best decision I ever made!

What's your story?

tuubi commented on 22 November 2016 at 11:57 am UTC

Geany is awesome. I've been using it for a few years now. Rather simple and no-frills, but with some plugins it works pretty much exactly how I expect a code editor to work and has all the features I need. A hearty recommendation from me as well.

Guppy commented on 22 November 2016 at 12:25 pm UTC

I use geany for all my development needs at work ( PHP ) - but it's only an editor not an idea.
I tried and really liked Brackets.io, sadly it's it doesn't support live edit via FTP which makes it rather useless for the way I develop. ( Fireftp on the dev server -> open in geany, save auto pushes the file )

For C++ development I've stuck to Code::Blocks, mostly I suspect because it reminds me of Dev-C++

I've tried both Anjuta and Eclipse, but they both seem to think that they should taker over the organization of my files which I really dislike.

stan commented on 22 November 2016 at 1:59 pm UTC

Mousepad: Not an IDE, but I use it for my bash scripts . It has syntax colouring.

Geany: For my bigger projects in C or Go. It has limited features but it works well enough and is lightweight. It has syntax colouring AND completion based on the functions and variables in the current file at least. I wish I could switch between projects (open tabs/files); maybe it’s possible already?

Qt-Creator: For a big C++ open-source project that uses Qt so it was a no-brainer. It has useful features like "Find usage" to know where a function is used (doesn’t work well for virtual functions unfortunately, at least in Qt Creator 2.8; perhaps I need to upgrade?) Not perfect but a good IDE.

Ten years ago I used Code::Blocks for my own project and it worked well.

Guppy commented on 22 November 2016 at 3:11 pm UTC

@stan: I believe that there is a geany plugin that lets you do project management, not sure how well it works.

Ben D commented on 22 November 2016 at 5:59 pm UTC

I use Github Atom for HTML/Jscript and Eclipse for Java; I've dabbled in a couple of other languages and IDEs, but I'm not really proficient with any.

mirv commented on 22 November 2016 at 7:02 pm UTC

qt-creator for me. I switched to that from eclipse, which became bogged down and slow for me as well.

Also, with the right plugins, emacs. Can take a little getting used to, but it's the most powerful "IDE" I've ever used, and handles very, very large projects quite easily.

liamdawe commented on 22 November 2016 at 10:37 pm UTC

Another vote for Atom here, a few annoyances, but I find it to be less annoying than everything else I've tried.

Ehvis commented on 22 November 2016 at 11:03 pm UTC

I do almost everything in Geany as well. For everything from assembly to C++.

badber commented on 23 November 2016 at 10:29 am UTC

Emacs. I think it qualifies as an IDE but it's not just that. Getting to do email, bookmarking & notes, chat and so on in the same app and being able to modify absolutely everything and being able to write a bit of elisp every time you get an idea for something that would make your workflow smoother is amazing. I do recommend not sticking with the default keybindings for the most often used stuff though, taking inspiration from something like Ergoemacs is better.

Blauer_Hunger commented on 23 November 2016 at 11:03 am UTC

I like QtCreator for C/C++ (earlier I used Code::Blocks, but that was too unstable for me, so I looked for something different), but I'm thinking about switching to KDevelop 5. For Python I have to use PyCharm because my university wants me to. When I did much with Java, I used Eclipse. For everything else I prefer a simple Kate (or gedit when I'm not on a KDE Desktop).

Go to:

Due to spam you need to Register and Login to comment.

Or login with...

Livestreams & Videos
None currently, submit yours here!
See more!
Popular this week
View by Category
Contact
Latest Forum Posts
Facebook