You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
JRPG from Japan coming to Linux
Page: «2/3»
  Go to:
Arehandoro Jan 9, 2017
Looks quite interesting to me as well, hopefully everything goes as expected.
HyperDevbox Jan 10, 2017
Quoting: RioAh! I love Jrpgs and the concepts and screenshots look great definitely keeping an eye on this.
Quoting: ArehandoroLooks quite interesting to me as well, hopefully everything goes as expected.

Thank you!
Please share with your Linux friends, as we need as much help as possible in spreading the word.
Alm888 Jan 10, 2017
Quoting: HyperDevbox
Quoting: [email protected]This looks good! The premise is interesting for a JRPG though. Isn't it a bit western in nature?
Thank you!
Yes, the idea is to make the game, which is in essence a Japanese RPG, with some Western influences (the art and gameplay).

Emmm... I'm confused on this one...

Will it be TRPG or JRPG? You know, they are different genres. And "J" in the later does not nesessary refer to a game made in Japan. Games like "Pier Solar" are JRPGs despite having nothing to do with that country. And TRPGs ("tactical" RPG) like the infamous "Fire Emblem" can use any setting and be of any county.

So you are referring to your game as JRPG but the screenshots are suggesting it is TRPG. Sorry, I'm confused.

But otherwise it looks very promising!
HyperDevbox Jan 10, 2017
Thank you.
It is a Tactical JRPG.
Does that make sense? LOL
tuubi Jan 10, 2017
I don't think the terminology is anywhere near as clear cut as @Alm888 makes it seem. There are plenty of JRPG's with some strategy/tactics involved, and S/TRPG's with classic JRPG gameplay elements. We can all decide whether the game fits a square hole or a round one when we see more of it, and whether it's something we might enjoy. I for one am looking forward to this. :)
Alm888 Jan 10, 2017
Quoting: tuubiThere are plenty of JRPG's with some strategy/tactics involved, and S/TRPG's with classic JRPG gameplay elements.

A lot of games mix genres and JRPG with TRPG games are no exception. But the genres themselves are very distinct.

In case of JRPG we have:
1) Limited number of main characters, in many cases not greater than the number of character slots in the party, but most of the time only slightly bigger. We are talking (3 ... 8) characters. Can not name any exception right now.
2) No "permadeath" of the characters, no recruiting random fighters. The only exceptions I can recall are earlier "Final Fantasy" with its character creation mechanics and... "Lucienne's Quest" with optional and irrelevant golem.
3) Strong story with sufficient input from all of the characters. Everyone is a person with own storyline. Exceptions are rare and mostly very old and not that good (like "Phantasy Star" II and III, sadly, earlier "Final Fantasy" games or "Traysia").
4) Highly defined "map roaming" dungeon roaming is a "must", world exploring is optional but present most of the time. Exceptions are "Lunar SSS", "Lunar II Eternal Blue", "Grandia II", "Breath of Fire IV" where the world roaming either nominal (Lunar), or omitted (replaced with map location selection).
5) The fights are relatively simple "gang on gang" skirmishes, most of the time with "random encounter" mechanics, and have no impact on storytelling (with boss battles being obvious exceptions). The only exception that comes to mind is "Parasite Eve" with its finite encounters per location.

In contrast the most prominent features of TRPGs are:
1) Large roster of playable characters. A lot more than the player team can include. Mostly somewhere in the 30s (not counting randomly generated mercenaries). Exceptions exist ("Langrisser" series, "Vixen 357", probably other Masaya TRPG titles, recent "Shadowrun" games -- from "Returns" onward).
2) Permadeath is common and is considered to be the norm. Exceptions are later "Langrisser"s (i.e. not the first one) and... "Super Robo..." Nah!!! I won't ever call that TRPG! :-)
3) As a corollary from the above most of the characters do not matter to the storyline. There can be some minor interactions between non-essential characters (like relationship system in "Fire Emblem" or their occasional remarks in cut-scenes) but nothing will change story-wise if the player never recruit or lose them. Exceptions are some Masaya works like "Vixen 357" (which has surprisingly robust dialogue system despite "permadeath" -- it helps to have only 7 of them total), recent "Shadowrun" and games without permadeath.
4) Sometimes there is map roaming (like earlier "Shining Force" titles) but most of the time it is just straight battle-after-battle sequence with no turning back, no mazes, no hidden treasure chests.
5) The games revolve around big, long sophisticated battles with area-off-effect attacs, elevation differences, covers, different ranges of different weapons, obstacles scattered around the map (chasms, rivers, walls, cliffs etc.), flanking abilities and so on. One battle can last for hours. Most if not all battles are story relevant.

I don't know how anyone can not distinguish between the two fairly different genres...

@HyperDevbox: Isn't that you?
tuubi Jan 10, 2017
Quoting: Alm888I don't know how anyone can not distinguish between the two fairly different genres...
Can't say if serious after that wall of text that doesn't even begin to cover all the exceptions to these so called rules. But this is off topic, so let's amicably agree to disagree. Thermidor is (or will be) a Japanese RPG with tactical elements, and the exact genre isn't important at this point.
Geopirate Jan 11, 2017
I hate to be a downer, but these tend to go one of two ways.

1. There is Linux support in the beta, and backers help with the testing process on Linux

2. There will maybe hopefully be a Linux port after release if there is the time, resources, etc....

Which is this? If you're at all familiar with the community, we've all been burned before. Thanks for the post here!
HyperDevbox Jan 11, 2017
Quoting: alm888@HyperDevbox: Isn't that you?
Yes! We are currently running a crowdfunding campaign for Thermidor here.

Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: Alm888I don't know how anyone can not distinguish between the two fairly different genres...
Can't say if serious after that wall of text that doesn't even begin to cover all the exceptions to these so called rules. But this is off topic, so let's amicably agree to disagree. Thermidor is (or will be) a Japanese RPG with tactical elements, and the exact genre isn't important at this point.

Agreed!
Quoting: GeopirateI hate to be a downer, but these tend to go one of two ways.

1. There is Linux support in the beta, and backers help with the testing process on Linux

2. There will maybe hopefully be a Linux port after release if there is the time, resources, etc....

Which is this? If you're at all familiar with the community, we've all been burned before. Thanks for the post here!

Thermidor will DEFINITELY be available for Linux. No ifs... (:
HyperDevbox Jan 11, 2017
Also, we've been working on an intro animation for the game. It basically shows the story that precedes the beginning of the game.
It is still a draft, but I would love to hear your comments!
View video on youtube.com
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.