JRPG from Japan coming to Linux
Page: «3/3
  Go to:
tuubi Jan 11, 2017
The boy just can't stay out of trouble and the baddies are bad. A classic take and refreshingly straightforward. ;)

Nice that you show how the girl can handle a sword and take care of herself as well, so she's not just there to look pretty and for the charming young rogue to save in the end, hopefully. The animation also suggests that we can expect a bit of comedy as well which is a good thing in my book.

Third thing I notice is that you're not trying too hard to invent a more European style. The opening is straight up anime with a modern J-Pop (or J-Rock?) soundtrack. Nothing wrong with that though.
Alm888 Jan 11, 2017
Quoting: tuubiCan't say if serious after that wall of text that doesn't even begin to cover all the exceptions to these so called rules.

So, apparently we are not gonna be presented any of those so called "exceptions" which are amazingly hard to classify... Mmmm, OK. :-)

Quoting: HyperDevbox

I finally watched the materials presented by you. Hope you don't mind some advises from a perfect bystander without deep knowledge of the game development business...

Disclaimer: I'm not a developer myself, just an ordinary player, and judge only from player's (and Kickstarter backer's) perspective.

1) It seems the Indiegogo campaign was launched somewhat prematurely. There is definite lack of content. Right now it seems you only have one simple battle scene to test game mechanics. This is not enough to entertain the audience.

2) I've done some really basic research on your company. It would appear you are not new on the scene and have the experience of both OpenGL graphics development and multiplatform development, originating from the mobile games and handheld console market. This is your strong point.

3) You are actually not Japanese (well, not fully), but for some reason relocated to Japan and now trying to hide your French roots (you are even switched the name). I dunno, maybe you are thinking being Japanese will grant you some additional points. Have some doubts this will actually work. Even Japanese developers acknowledge that in order to appeal Western audience they need to adapt to Western tastes. Being Western in origin is the advantage, not the weakness (you can retain Eastern style without any problems).

4) Regarding the graphics: I'm all for anime style, but those 3D-portraits is a no go! Replace them with 2D sprites as soon as possible. If you will not animate them using "Live 2D", just let them be static images or draw several emotion images for important characters but those ugly 3D dolls need to be buried! Don't repeat the mistake of Inafune and his "Mighty No. 9" (he replaced 3D with drawn cut-scenes in the DLC).

5) Try to aim for Kickstarter instead of Indiegogo. There are a lot more backers there.

Hope something of this will help!
HyperDevbox Jan 12, 2017
Quoting: Alm888I finally watched the materials presented by you. Hope you don't mind some advises from a perfect bystander without deep knowledge of the game development business...

On the contrary, We cherish your advice!

Quoting: Alm888Disclaimer: I'm not a developer myself, just an ordinary player, and judge only from player's (and Kickstarter backer's) perspective.

1) It seems the Indiegogo campaign was launched somewhat prematurely. There is definite lack of content. Right now it seems you only have one simple battle scene to test game mechanics. This is not enough to entertain the audience.

Yes, we have come to realize that recently, and are now thinking of our next step. But at the meantime, still working on the game and anything we could/should showcase.

Quoting: Alm8882) I've done some really basic research on your company. It would appear you are not new on the scene and have the experience of both OpenGL graphics development and multiplatform development, originating from the mobile games and handheld console market. This is your strong point.

Yes, agreed!

Quoting: Alm8883) You are actually not Japanese (well, not fully), but for some reason relocated to Japan and now trying to hide your French roots (you are even switched the name). I dunno, maybe you are thinking being Japanese will grant you some additional points. Have some doubts this will actually work. Even Japanese developers acknowledge that in order to appeal Western audience they need to adapt to Western tastes. Being Western in origin is the advantage, not the weakness (you can retain Eastern style without any problems).

I have to completely disagree with you on that one.
Most of the HyperDevbox staff is Japanese. And weather we have been living in Japan for 20 years, or born here, it doesn't matter at all.
We don't think about the advantages or disadvantages of being Japanese or Western, and don't try to hide anything. We do things our way, which is (mostly) the Japanese way.

Quoting: Alm8884) Regarding the graphics: I'm all for anime style, but those 3D-portraits is a no go! Replace them with 2D sprites as soon as possible. If you will not animate them using "Live 2D", just let them be static images or draw several emotion images for important characters but those ugly 3D dolls need to be buried! Don't repeat the mistake of Inafune and his "Mighty No. 9" (he replaced 3D with drawn cut-scenes in the DLC).

We have been working on replacing the 3D characters in the dialogue screen for a few days now, and we will be showcasing the new and improved graphics today!

Quoting: Alm8885) Try to aim for Kickstarter instead of Indiegogo. There are a lot more backers there.

Hope something of this will help!

Yes, we are well aware of that. But since KS doesn't work with Japanese accounts, we were pretty much forced to go with Indiegogo. but that might change in the future.

Thank you very much for your insights. They are very valuable to us!
In the meantime, I'm kindly asking you to either subscribe to our newsletter, or follow us on any SNS, so you could get updated about our journey towards the release of Thermidor.
And also by spreading the word, you will help us make Thermidor a reality (:
HyperDevbox Jan 12, 2017
Quoting: tuubiThe boy just can't stay out of trouble and the baddies are bad. A classic take and refreshingly straightforward. ;)

Nice that you show how the girl can handle a sword and take care of herself as well, so she's not just there to look pretty and for the charming young rogue to save in the end, hopefully. The animation also suggests that we can expect a bit of comedy as well which is a good thing in my book.

Third thing I notice is that you're not trying too hard to invent a more European style. The opening is straight up anime with a modern J-Pop (or J-Rock?) soundtrack. Nothing wrong with that though.

Thank you very much!
[email protected] Jan 18, 2017
We need sci-fi JRPG.
neocron Feb 11, 2017
Quoting: HyperDevboxPlease share with your Linux friends, as we need as much help as possible in spreading the word.

If you are looking to promote your game in the Linux community consider releasing the source of the alpha. Since Linux users love to mess around with codes Thermidor will get instant support and advertising all at once.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.