Your Linux BattleStations
Page: «3/4»
  Go to:
dvd Jan 17, 2018
Wow, that desk/case is just so good, i love how you put it together!
pete910 Jan 18, 2018
@Xpander Nice, Shame no G-sync with you having a 1070! though then price goes stupid because Nvidia!

It is nice to use a high refresh rate monitor, I jumped from a 60hz to 144 which is somewhat noticeable, freesync is nice too

Cheers @dvd
callcifer Feb 13, 2018
I love my triple monitor setup :)

Specs:

i7-5820K overclocked to 4.5GHz
32GB DDR4 2800MHz RAM
GTX 1080Ti (150MHz graphics, 500MHz memory overclock)
2x 1TB Samsung 850 Evo SSD (1 each for Linux / Windows)
Asus MG279Q (1440p 144Hz) as primary monitor
2x cheap AOC 1080p IPS monitors for work
Das Keyboard 4 Professional
Logitech MX Master 2S Mouse

I rarely boot into Windows 7, it’s mostly for the occasional Windows-only game which is becoming more and more rare for me.

Full list of hardware here.
riusma Feb 5, 2019
Sorry for the (off-topic) joke but I've just found a recent photo of a real Linux battlestation:

For context it's from the French National Gendarmerie (which is actually using a modified version of Ubuntu). ^_^

[edit: image credit Libération]
ageres Feb 5, 2019
Quoting: riusmaSorry for the (off-topic) joke but I've just found a recent photo of a real Linux battlestation
The Linux squad. If you find out your neighbour is using Windows 10, just call them. They will arrive and replace it with Ubuntu.
RTheren Feb 5, 2019
My Battlestation:

Type: Desktop
DE: MATE with Compiz
Case: NZXT H440
Display: 27" 2560x1440 & 24" 1920x1080
Mouse: A4tech Bloody Terminator TL80A Core 3
Keyboard: HyperX Alloy Elite Red
PSU: Corsair CX850M
CPU: Ryzen 7 1700X (3.8 GHz)
Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61
GPU: MSI NVIDIA 1070 8GB
RAM: G.Skill 16 GB KIT DDR4 3200 MHz CL14 Flare X for AMD
SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2 TB
SSD: 2x WD Blue 3D SSD NAND 500GB in RAID1
SSD: Crucial MX500 M.2 2280 500GB
NVME: Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB
Avehicle7887 Aug 11, 2019
No more dual monitor bezels, enter the Samsung CHG90 49". This puppy can do 3840x1080 with picture by picture mode. Some games particularly 2D ones render at the middle of the screen with black borders, however it shines for driving and flight sims.

tuubi Aug 11, 2019
Quoting: Avehicle7887No more dual monitor bezels, enter the Samsung CHG90 49". This puppy can do 3840x1080 with picture by picture mode. Some games particularly 2D ones render at the middle of the screen with black borders, however it shines for driving and flight sims.
We've got a couple of those screens at work. I felt more comfortable working with a couple of monitors with normal aspect ratios, but I guess I'm just stuck in my ways.

Looking at your picture, isn't it a bit awkward having some of the important game UI elements so far out of your normal field of vision? Don't you have to keep turning your head a lot? Of course it's just the game, not the monitor to blame for that. I can see how it's great for driving games though.
Avehicle7887 Aug 11, 2019
Quoting: tuubi
Quoting: Avehicle7887No more dual monitor bezels, enter the Samsung CHG90 49". This puppy can do 3840x1080 with picture by picture mode. Some games particularly 2D ones render at the middle of the screen with black borders, however it shines for driving and flight sims.
We've got a couple of those screens at work. I felt more comfortable working with a couple of monitors with normal aspect ratios, but I guess I'm just stuck in my ways.

Looking at your picture, isn't it a bit awkward having some of the important game UI elements so far out of your normal field of vision? Don't you have to keep turning your head a lot? Of course it's just the game, not the monitor to blame for that. I can see how it's great for driving games though.

In some games yes (such as Guild Wars 2 in the picture) and sometimes it's better to run these at normal 16:9. One particular game that scaled really well is Stardew Valley:

While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.