Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB -- wake from sleep with corrupt screen
_J_30000 Jan 5, 2017
Hi

I am on have Mint 18.1 64bit with a Nvidia GTX1060 on my main computer.
Driver version is 375.26
Kernal is 4.4.0.57

when I put my computer to sleep it wakes up with corrupt screen and I cannot seem to get past that.
Computer does not respond properly to switching to a terminal nor does restarting Cinnamon seem to help.

Anyone else encountered this and any help outthere?

thanks
staticx27 Jan 5, 2017
Sorry if this does not help resolve your situation, but I also had this problem with Antergos running Gnome using LightDM. I switched to GDM for my display manager and all the corruption from waking up went away. I do, however, have to alt+f2 and r to restart gnome to get the shutdown icon back. If I remember right (back in my Mint days), alt+f2 and r works for Cinnamon too. If you can't (or don't want to) change desktop managers, maybe that will help. By the way, I also have GTX 1060.. Gigabyte Extreme Edition.
_J_30000 Jan 21, 2017
I updated driver to 378.09 and it now seems to work...

fingers X-ed
_J_30000 Jan 22, 2017
Actually had a crash today when I left a chromium session running....

but nothing if I don't use chromium/chrome running
Trump Jan 22, 2017
I think nvidia said something about this in their patch notes. I'm guessing it's a known issue they haven't fixed yet.
_J_30000 Feb 11, 2017
yeah I still have problems now and then, will try to adjust the DM
_J_30000 Feb 11, 2017
really daft Q but do I need boot options for the initial live cd boot, I cannot seem to find a solution to get to a desktop on antergos - wanted to give it a shot
damarrin Feb 13, 2017
I generally find sleeps with nvidia cards pretty stable. I have Ubuntu Gnome running on two machines, one with a Geforce 330M running the 340.101 driver (newest for that card) and one with a Geforce 980 Ti running a new driver (367.57). Both machines usually wake from sleep, but sometimes don't (maybe 1 time in 10-20), forcing a hard reset. On both machines, the Gnome splash screen has a way of coming up corrupted, only to right itself after a second or two. The chevrons which show I need to slide the screen upward to unlock, however, will always be corrupted on the 330M and most of the time on the 980. Go figure.

I run Mint 18 on a laptop with integrated Intel graphics, and that has a way of coming up corrupted from sleep. Icons and text labels are missing or garbled, but otherwise everything is functional. A log out fixes it all.

Edit: checked the driver version for the 980, I really need to update my driver!
riusma Feb 13, 2017
I have a GTX 1060 6G (MSI Gaiming X) and was not encountering corrupted screen when using sleep on Ubuntu 16.04 (proprietary drivers of course)... but crashes (which came from my i5 6600K it seems)... So I don't use sleep any more. :s (I've a SSD, so boot times are not really a problem)
saildata Feb 14, 2017
I think it's a known issue of Ubuntu 16.04 and derivatives (Mint 18.1) with the NVIDIA 375.26 driver. See the NVIDIA known issues with 375.26. It's still a note in 378.09, but from their wording it sounds like it's hit or miss re: if it impacts you. There is a kernel module parameter that they offer as a fix, not sure if it has any side effects.. I'm on Arch with 375.26 / 4.9.9 kernel and haven't had any issues (this better not start! lol)
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.