Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Help with color issues on CSGO with Mint 17.3
MatadorZA Jan 8, 2017
Below image speaks for itself.

Linux Mint 17.3
Kernel: 4.4.0-57 / same issue on 4.8.x and 4.9.x
Laptop: Thinkpad T460 (i5 6300u, 16GB DDR3 RAM, Intel HD Graphics 520)

CSGO is buttery smooth and perfect if I boot with Windows 10 (Windows To Go on external HD). About 20fps less if I boot with the above config, and as you can see I get a strange issue with the colours. Got a urine coloured tint all over the screen.

Please, any suggestions are welcome as this is highly frustrating.

tuxintuxedo Jan 8, 2017
Not sure if it is related, but aside from the kernel, have you tried newer Mesa? If you want to try something like this, be sure to have a backup. Last time I tried updating mesa stuff on Mint, the system basically collapsed on me (removed Cinnamon and couldn't get it back).
MatadorZA Jan 8, 2017
Busy upgrading now to Mint 18.1 which has a newer version of mesa. And it looks like Intel offers upgrade stacks over here https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads which is only available on the newer Ubuntu distros. 14.04 is not supported anymore.
tuxintuxedo Jan 9, 2017
Don't care about that. That's the same as an updated mesa, basically. So you don't need it.
If you are doing an upgrade, check things in the end, as Mint upgrades tend to only upgrade Cinnamon and co, but not kernel and mesa. They have some weird ideas and eventually made me go back to Ubuntu (the Mate version).
MatadorZA Jan 9, 2017
Okay well I installed Mint 18.1 and it came with a newer version of mesa, 11.2.2.

And now CS seems to be working just fine, albeit with 30fps lower than Windows 10 :(

I tried using that Intel graphics installer (and faking the lsb_release to trick the installer in to thinking it was running in Ubuntu 16.04 and not Mint 18.1), and it did indeed update/install quite a few packages but nothing groundbreaking by the looks of it.

If you have any other suggestions to make CS run smoother (only getting about 50fps at the moment), I'll gladly give them a try.

But anyways, thanks! At least it looks pretty now :D
tuxintuxedo Jan 9, 2017
Some time ago I read something about CS, but I am not sure. Maybe try to change its settings, like v-sync. You might find more tips in its steam discussions, there should be a thread about it and Linux performance too.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.