Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Compiling Serious Sam Engine Source Code on Linux Mint 32 bit
Botonoski Jan 16, 2017
So, it came to my attention recently that Croteam had released the source code for the Serious Engine about 10 months back. The person who did the original Linux port of Serious Sam also published his work: https://github.com/rcgordon/Serious-Engine
So this means I can just follow the instructions and get Serious Sam 1 working natively on my 32 bit Linux Mint PC, right? Well, no, not in my experience. Every time I try to compile it, something along the while fails and the compilation terminates. I have all the dependencies I followed the instructions as well as I can understand them. I've never really had this kind of issue before.

Am I dong something wrong? Is my Linux distribution to blame? Is the source code not up to snuff? Can anybody else compile it? If so, I don't suppose you could provide instructions that are more concise then the ones provided by the readme, because I just can't figure it out, and I can't find anywhere else that has really has discussed this source code to any degree.
Botonoski Jan 16, 2017
I mainly get two errors

The instructions say in order to compile the first Serious Sam game instead of the second you first have to pass -DTFE=TRUE to cmake. So, I enter the "Sources" directory and I enter into my console: "cmake ./ -DTFE=TRUE" Some things are printed to console which indicates the operation was successful, so I proceed to run "build-linux32.sh" as instructed. But then, my terminal prints out:
Will build with 'make -j4' ... please edit this script if incorrect.
+ rm -rf cmake-build
+ mkdir cmake-build
+ cd cmake-build
+ cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS=-m32 -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS=-m32 -DUSE_I386_NASM_ASM=TRUE ..
WARNING,re-enable some of the warnings some day!
-- Using assembler code (when available)
-- Using i386 nasm ASM
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to: /home/gurock/Downloads/Serious-Engine-master/Sources
+ make -j4
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

However, running build-linux32.sh without running "cmake ./ -DTFE=TRUE" (as I would if I wanted to run Serious Sam 2) it does not produce this error. Instead I get this at about 51% completion:
[ 51%] Building CXX object CMakeFiles/EntitiesMPD.dir/EntitiesMP/Common/HUD.cpp.o
In file included from /home/gurock/Downloads/Serious-Engine-master/Sources/./Engine/Engine.h:48:0,
                 from /home/gurock/Downloads/Serious-Engine-master/Sources/./EntitiesMP/StdH/StdH.h:16,
                 from /home/gurock/Downloads/Serious-Engine-master/Sources/EntitiesMP/Common/HUD.cpp:16:
/home/gurock/Downloads/Serious-Engine-master/Sources/./Engine/Base/CRC.h: In function ‘void CRC_AddBlock(ULONG&, UBYTE*, ULONG)’:
/home/gurock/Downloads/Serious-Engine-master/Sources/./Engine/Base/CRC.h:67:21: warning: comparison between signed and unsigned integer expressions [-Wsign-compare]
   for( INDEX i=0; i<ulSize; i++) CRC_AddBYTE( ulCRC, pubBlock[i]);
                     ^
Linking CXX shared library Debug/libEntitiesMPD.so
[ 72%] Built target EntitiesMPD
make: *** [all] Error 2
Hamish Jan 17, 2017
Yeah, I have been having the exact same issues. :|

Gordon, we love you man, but your build instructions are fairly opaque.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.