Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Matrix room for community live communication
Creak Jan 22, 2017
Hi!

I've created a Matrix room for GamingOnLinux: https://riot.im/app/#/room/#gamingonlinux:matrix.org

I've discovered Matrix and especially it's client, Riot, a few weeks ago, and I love it!
It's like Slack but better:
* Open source
* Decentralized
* Lots of 2-way bridges for other networks (such as Slack and IRC)
* Encrypted by default (except for public rooms)

The project and the community are still young, but very dynamic. Riot is only 3 months old but it's already very usable and pretty well designed.

I'm the administrator of the GoL room, but I'm really OK giving my privileges to anyone from the GoL website admins, just contact me.
MaCroX95 Jan 22, 2017
Hmmm, I'm not sure how smart is it to divide our community so much between IRC, mumble, discord and even this new client. I can see where are the benefits of open-source but I think that for the sake of community GOL admins should decide for 1 official room so all players and discussions are connected and occur in one place :)
Creak Jan 22, 2017
For the IRC issue, I'll set up a bridge to the IRC chan right away (fixed ;) )

As for the other solutions, AFAIK mumble is very in-game centric, so not really for open chats about gaming in general in the Linux community. And Discord is proprietary, I won't use it and I'm pretty sure a couple of the people on this website won't either.

I know, you could argue that I'm using Steam and that rejecting Discord is stupid at least, but I would answer that it's not because I tolerate one proprietary app that I have to tolerate all of them.
MaCroX95 Jan 22, 2017
Hmmm, well it is unavoidable then I guess, maybe having those 2 linked together and a separate discord room isn't that segmented after all. I personally use discord since everyone I game with uses that and it was already a whole process of migrating from skype xD they wouldn't want to migrate once again :) but it's nice to embrace open-source of course :)
Creak Jan 22, 2017
IRC bridge requested to @Samsai, we'll see how it goes :D
Liam Dawe Jan 22, 2017
It's not the first time it has been requested, if we can have a bridge going that would be ideal.

Edit: Bridge is setup, nice work Creak!
Creak Jan 23, 2017
For those liking IRC and worried about the future of it if Matrix comes along, don't worry.

The IRC bridge goes both way, meaning that you can use IRC or Matrix (or both!) as you prefer.

For now, the only thing I've seen that works in Matrix but not in IRC is emojis, but since emojis are standardized Unicode character, I'd say that it's more of a problem of the IRC client (I hope IRC protocol handles Unicode...)
yookoala Apr 9, 2017
@Creak: A bit off topic here. How did you setup the bridge between IRC and the matrix room? I want to setup something similar but I couldn't find any documentation that helps.
Creak Apr 9, 2017
@yookoala: There is a "Manage integrations" button in the room settings, you can add an IRC bridge from here.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.