Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
New PC - Full AMD or INTEL/Nvidia?
Page: 1/2»
  Go to:
wolfyrion Feb 16, 2017
I have sold my IVY-BRIDGE PC with a 4820K CPU and NVIDIA GTX980 for a descent price and now I have to get a new pc.
(The main reason I have sold it is because of the DDR4 and M.2 architecture + up to date PC :P)
(according to my experience this is was the right moment to sell ,otherwise I would not be able to sell it in the future)

So now the hard part is to decide what to get

I was thinking to go with an Intel i7 7700k and an ASUS ROG Maximus IX Formula Intel Z270 (Socket 1151) DDR4 and wait until the new GPUS from NVIDIA , like GTX 2080 Ti, 2080 & 2070 or maybe the newest Volta GPUs With HBM2 & GDDR6 In 2018.

But then I see AMD Rysen on the rise and their new GPU VEGA and also their upcoming NAVI GPU Architecture in 2018...

In the past I had a lot of problems with AMD CPU and AMD Graphic Cards in Linux but not that much problems with Intel and Nvidia.

I guess I may have to wait until the release of AMD Rysen, check benchmarks and then decide...

well if you have any suggestions or recommendations let me know...

Thanks!
riusma Feb 16, 2017
If you really want to buy a Z270 motherboard you should wait for the prices to drop, as you will not gain that much in comparison to a Z170 motherboard (which will work just fine with a Kaby Lake CPU as it's more or less the same architecture). :)

Waiting for the new AMD CPU and GPU seems to be a good idea... even if in the end you go with Intel / NVIDIA the prices should drop with the competition (if AMD CPU and GPU remain true to their promises). :)
Xpander Feb 16, 2017
Why not AMD and Nvidia? :D

i myself waiting for Ryzen to launch and some benchmarks, if the proce is right and benchmarks good for me then i get a Ryzen CPU from AMD with 8 cores and 16 threads probably. as for GPU i will still be using Nvidia for some time before amd drivers mature some more and all the corner cases get fixed.
Liam Dawe Feb 16, 2017
I would have held off a while for Ryzen, I think you did this a little too early.
ronnoc Feb 16, 2017
I have an all AMD rig with no regrets (see my profile for specifics). However, the no regret part is due to very recent advancements in Mesa and the kernel. Had this build been completed a year ago, when Ubuntu dropped the proprietary (FGLRX) driver from 16.04 onwards, and mesa and RadeonSI were still too immature for regular-guamer use, I would have questioned my sanity.
wolfyrion Feb 16, 2017
One reason that I am going with ASUS is because of the quality of their products and they officially support Linux according to this pdf that list their motherboards that support Linux

https://www.asus.com/websites/global/aboutASUS/OS/Linux170105.pdf

I know that Ryzen releases at 2 of March but then I will have to wait for a descent AMD motherboard equivalent to Formula and so on. I dont know if I can wait that much :S:
Comandante Ñoñardo Feb 16, 2017
Intel/Nvidia
Intel if you want good single core performance...And Nvidia because most big Linux ports support it and is energy efficient..
damarrin Feb 17, 2017
I'd wait for Ryzen, see how it performs and go AMD/Nvidia or Intel/Nvidia. I realise Mesa has made great strides and the AMD GPU situation is better than ever, but it'll take more than a couple of months of progress for me to forget all the headaches I've had with them.
wolfyrion Feb 17, 2017
These are the parts I have chosen for my PC after some research

1. EVGA SuperNOVA Platinum 850 Watt
2. ASUS Maximus IX Formula
3. G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 32GTZ Kit 3000 CL15 (2x16GB) SKU: F4-3000C15D-32GTZ
4. Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake
5. Noctua NH-D15
6. Samsung SSD 960 Pro M.2 512GB
Liam Dawe Feb 17, 2017
I still think Ryzen/NVIDIA would be a pretty good fit, for me AMD GPUs just still aren't there yet, but possible after AMD's next GPUs, depending on how Mesa is by then.
mrdeathjr Feb 17, 2017
In this moment if is possible is better wait for ryzen for see with measures take intel (drop prices, more models, etc...)

In my case stay interested in ryzen performance, ipc, overclock and how much vcore needs for 4.2ghz minimum

If ryzen dont stay close to intel kabylake at 4.8ghz to 5.0ghz with vcore maximum 1.35v

In my case stay interested in dual core + ht model only, however if intel launch pentium G4560 unlocked possible G4568 maybe buy intel again but if possible make 4.9 to 5.0ghz with 1.35v of vcore and most important dont pass 65 degress in operation (and if is possible disable vt instructions and intel sgx)

However in my case is more important single thread performance

^_^
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.