Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
Time to build an AMD gaming machine?
Page: «2/5»
  Go to:
Naib Apr 1, 2017
im looking at picking up

Asus Prime X370-Pro AM4 Ryzen
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X AM4
16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200Mhz G-Skill Trident Z RGB
1TB Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 SSD

I will carry over my nvidia gpu for now and I already have a decent psu. I am just holding off until kernel 4.11 is released and maybe for Gentoo to arch-set gcc-6.x
saildata Apr 2, 2017
So now that that hardware is taken care of, what OS?

Also, while gedit is a nice, easy to use text editor, I really feel like I should learn my way around Vim, or perhaps Atom? Help?!

jk -- I wanted April Fool's Day to go out with one last comment.
calfret May 17, 2017
So what are we looking at for a solid build currently? AMD Ryzen processor with an NVIDA GPU?
Koopacabras May 20, 2017
Ok I'm looking into a ryzen build as well anyone care to give some opinions?
I'm on a budget:

motherboard ASUS PRIME PLUS
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Prime-B350-Plus-Ryzen-Motherboard/dp/B06X416NJ1

or maybe a gigabyte b350 gaming ver 1

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-AB350-Gaming-Fusion-HDMI1-4-Motherboard/dp/B06XDNB3G4?th=1

I lean towards the second as it has a 7+1 phase vrm vs 6 vrm phase and dual bios also I've read that gigabyte makes better budget mobos.

ryzen 1600

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-Processor-Wraith-Cooler-YD1600BBAEBOX/dp/B06XNRQHG4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1495239456&sr=1-1&keywords=ryzen+1600

I think is the sweet spot a good mix of cores, threads and MHZ.

memory hyperx ddr4 2133

https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-2133MHz-Non-ECC-HX421C14FBK2-16/dp/B00TY6A1LY/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1495239516&sr=1-4&keywords=ddr4+16gb

I've read some reviews that the frequency of the memory really doesn't make that difference and maybe with the extreme memory profile and I can pull some extra megahertz out of it, also I've read on amazon that the asus prime plus it's not supporting higher frequencies properly.

All the other components I will reuse what I've already have: thermaltake 600w PSU, hdd, sdd, radeon rx 460 4GB.

I'll appreciate any comments and sugestions.
Guest May 21, 2017
Im interested in a full AMD system but the more reviews i see for Ryzen on Linux the less convinced i am about it as a dedicated gaming CPU.

Phoronix i7 7700k vs Ryzen 1800x

^^

with price drops for Intel it seems if all you do is game then Intel is still a clear winner. Then again if you watch videos or stream whilst you game or compile etc.. then a 8 core Ryzen seems like a good idea.
Linux titles tend to be more CPU centric so favour intel but with Vulkan & Ryzen optimisations the difference might not be so much in the long run. Then again, Ryzen 2.0 ( or Ryzen+) shouldn't be too long away and that in theory should be giving another 15% per core IPC.

As for AMD GPU it seems that MESA/RadeonSi is beating out AMDGPU-Pro in almost every test now and by a clear margin. Id imagine it is not far behind Nvidia but the desktop experience should be better with AMD being opensource and you get a $200 cheaper monitor option with Freesync over the more expensive G-sync.

Id say Intel CPU + AMD GPU right now is probably still the best bet. Also soon Intel will also be releasing a much more multicore gaming CPU with the next generation and the prices will have to compete with Ryzen.
Xpander May 21, 2017
it seems theres an issue with AMD CPU + AMD GPU, cause those phoronix results are really weird compared to results with Nvidia cards. At least from my testing with [email protected] paired with GTX 1070 the difference is not that huge with i7 7700K, specially in Dirt Rally, Tomb Raider and Hitman seem to be pretty much on par with it. I don't have results saved anywhere sadly, but if someone has the same GPU and can run some test with 7700K i will gladly run some with my Ryzen to compare
Guest May 21, 2017
Quoting: Xpanderit seems theres an issue with AMD CPU + AMD GPU, cause those phoronix results are really weird compared to results with Nvidia cards. At least from my testing with [email protected] paired with GTX 1070 the difference is not that huge with i7 7700K, specially in Dirt Rally, Tomb Raider and Hitman seem to be pretty much on par with it. I don't have results saved anywhere sadly, but if someone has the same GPU and can run some test with 7700K i will gladly run some with my Ryzen to compare

yea, sometimes I get puzzled by Phoronix benchmarks as they don't tally up with the Windows benchmarks for Ryzen ( even taking into consideration the loss in FPS due to the port ). seems to be so much conflicting information online for the new AMD CPU's.
Boldos Jun 12, 2017
Also it is reported that Ryzen system erformance might depend quite a lot on a RAM clocking (the higher the better), so "memory hyperx ddr4 2133" might not be the best choice for a superfast system.
Would go for at least around 3000...
Koopacabras Jul 14, 2017
Just made my build

ryzen 1600 , gigabyte 350ab gaming 3 , just for now Kingston 8gb 2400mhz ddr4.

Kernel 4.11 had an IRQ problem "irqpoll" didn't fixed it, it made it worse. kernel 4.12 seems ok.

What really surprises me is how silent it is, the system will downclock the fans and make all really silent.
The cooler is massive and it's a lot more colder than vishera.

Previously Dirt Rally 45fps, with Ryzen 75fps.
Koopacabras Jul 15, 2017
arrgh the bug is still there, it possibly affects all AM4 Gigabyte Motherboards

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1671360

there is a patch for 4.10 kernel

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/769486/
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.