Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
Time to build an AMD gaming machine?
Page: «4/5»
  Go to:
Shmerl Jul 24, 2017
Price wise you can't beat Ryzen (8 cores / 16 threads). Intel chips like that are much more expensive.
Koopacabras Jul 29, 2017
Quoting: ShmerlPrice wise you can't beat Ryzen (8 cores / 16 threads). Intel chips like that are much more expensive.

I think the sweetspot is the 1600 is like the fx6300/50 of the bulldozer. You'll get a 10% percent delta with the 1700, but 1600 can handle, and you can OC'it and you'll be just about on par with single threaded performance. Only if you are running on full 16 threads you'll see a difference, which is rare for now.
Shmerl Jul 30, 2017
Older AMD chips have horrible TDP as far as I understand. So that's a major benefit of Ryzen too. I prefer not to overclock.
Koopacabras Aug 2, 2017
I'd like to point that if anyone is still planing on buying or has a Ryzen machine, that there is a huge cpu bug, that gives segmentation faults and fails compiling stuff on gcc.
It drove me nuts my machine was rebooting 3-4 times a day, the technical details are over here https://fujii.github.io/2017/06/23/how-to-reproduce-the-segmentation-faluts-on-ryzen/
AMD is looking into the problem and most likely will release a microcode update soon, for now there is a workraround here https://gist.github.com/satoru-takeuchi/687fb72c65c65e4896cc8836ae24d4c4
Disabling Kernel address space randomization helps ( echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/randomize_va_space ) and if bios has an option to disable opcache that also helps.
I don't know if any of you stumbled upon this problem??
Shmerl Aug 2, 2017
I bought it, and I have these bugs. They are pretty annoying. I have the mce freeze bug too, but it happens relatively not often. I really hope AMD will find a way to fix it. Otherwise I'd have to wait for B2 stepping, and possible make an RMA.
Koopacabras Aug 2, 2017
Quoting: ShmerlI bought it, and I have these bugs. They are pretty annoying. I have the mce freeze bug too, but it happens relatively not often. I really hope AMD will find a way to fix it. Otherwise I'd have to wait for B2 stepping, and possible make an RMA.

Ouch! I also have the mce freeze but I thought it was the same bug! the bug happens sometimes when resuming from sleep?? try the patch I said, you'll have to compile the kernel yourself but it improved everything 100 percent for me, not had a crash in 5 days and counting. But yes it does not solve the mce bug. I think it's a different bug, but the cause is the same (the cpu bug). It's like the cores and the threads won't wake up and the kernel tries and tries and the cpu goes yawn!! FY let me sleep. :P

Anyway I'm quite happy with the performance I trust that AMD or the kernel developers will fix this.
g000h Aug 3, 2017
Building new gaming PCs for my office - AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (great performance-price point) and MSI B350 MATE motherboards. The processor is 6-core 12-thread and beats Intel's i7-7700K processor (which I'd say is the current favourite of the gamer community) at multi-core benchmarks. It also overclocks nicely, if desired.

Not a complete "AMD" build though - We use Nvidia graphics ( GTX 1060 6GB ). I am tempted by the AMD RX 580 8GB graphics cards - for personal use - but I like to play at 4K resolution, and for that I need the performance of Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11GB.
Linas Sep 12, 2017
Hey guys, I just built my AMD gaming machine with Ryzen 5 1600 and Vega 56! I am very happy so far. Haven't tried much yet, but Dirt Rally is butter smooth on ultra on open-source drivers.

• AMD Ryzen 5 1600 processor

• Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 56 graphics

• Asrock AB350 Gaming-ITX/AC mITX WiFi motherboard

• Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2 PCIe SSD

• Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz 16GB RAM

• Corsair RM650x 650W PSU

• Thermaltake Core V1 case

It is a relatively tiny build that fits snuggly under my TV making a perfect sofa PC.

I did not go all in with after-market cooling, just added a single 80 mm exhaust fan to the case, in addition to the 200 mm intake that was already present in the case. Setting fans to silent mode in BIOS gives around 40-45 °C for the motherboard and the CPU and around 50-55 °C for the graphics card when relatively idle. Need to do more precise measurements under load, but it does not look like there is any risk of overheating.

I had some problems getting the system to POST the first time, but after some tinkering pulling and re-seating the components I managed to get into the BIOS setup, upgraded the firmware, and it ran fine after that. I also needed to upgrade the firmware on the SSD for it to be detected reliably. Luckily all of that could be done in a platform-independent fashion.

Installation was quite painless. I installed Debian 9, and amdgpu pro drivers, and it worked fine. But Dirt Rally would crash the system whenever shader quality was anything above very low. I was about to panic (does not take much for that to happen apparently), but then I found Vega-ready kernels conveniently pre-built for Debian and Ubuntu (use at your own risk). So I installed it, removed amdgpu pro, and the system worked and recognized the Vega 56 card. Getting Mesa and other related goodies was just a matter of upgrading to Debian Unstable.

The only thing that does not work properly is the only thing that is not AMD. Namely, the Intel Wireless 3168. Even with the latest firmware and kernel WiFi is extremely slow and unstable. It will not allow me to set the proper regulatory domain, and that is probably the root of all problems. Not only does it not work properly, it messes the connection for other WiFi devices. :(
sr_ls_boy Sep 12, 2017
Quoting: chancho_zombieOuch! I also have the mce freeze but I thought it was the same bug! the bug happens sometimes when resuming from sleep?? try the patch I said, you'll have to compile the kernel yourself but it improved everything 100 percent for me, not had a crash in 5 days and counting. But yes it does not solve the mce bug. I think it's a different bug, but the cause is the same (the cpu bug). It's like the cores and the threads won't wake up and the kernel tries and tries and the cpu goes yawn!! FY let me sleep. :P

Anyway I'm quite happy with the performance I trust that AMD or the kernel developers will fix this.

I was wondering if this was ever fixed. My new Ryzen build might have this sleep bug. I leave my computer alone and come
back in the morning to find it frozen. I thought it had something to do with the wrong sleep profile.
Shmerl Sep 12, 2017
Don't use amdgpu-pro. You are losing out. Use AMD staging kernel and Mesa.

What is your framerate in the Witcher 3 with Vega 56?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.