Every article tag can be clicked to get a list of all articles in that category. Every article tag also has an RSS feed! You can customize an RSS feed too!
AMD Ryzen optimisation?
SirBubbles Mar 7, 2017
After watching a video on youtube about how Windows and games benchmarks aren't optimised for Ryzen (something about windows not managing the cpu power states under load properly) I was wondering just how linux will do with Ryzen? Will the cpu scheduler be able to help us get the most out of Ryzen, or will we need to specifically set cores to performance mode or somesuch?
In addition, how will gaming under linux fare with Ryzen? I am aware that some games like XCOM2 suffer from a bit of a performance penalty under older AMD cpus, like my 8350. Deus Ex Mankind Divided is also a bit of rough going. Really hoping that getting a Ryzen cpu will help me out a bit.
chui2ch Mar 7, 2017
To be fair Dues ex recommended CPU is the I7 3770k. I don't think Feral are expecting users to overclock their CPU's, and the Ryzen 1700 at stock should have better single threaded performance than the 3770k.
wolfyrion Mar 7, 2017
There are many rumors going on about Ryzen issues but some are so fake.

Someone at Reddit collect all the issues of Ryzen and put them in a Megathread , hopefully they will be solved with a Bios Upgrade or Kernel Upgrade...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5xidxd/ryzen_r7_issues_megathread_electric_boogaloo/
Liam Dawe Mar 7, 2017
The key thing is that Ryzen does have much better single core performance than older AMD chips. That alone is worth a lot :)
Joeyboots80 Mar 8, 2017
Quoting: liamdaweThe key thing is that Ryzen does have much better single core performance than older AMD chips. That alone is worth a lot :)
Good point Liam. Looking forward to that much improved IPC on these new chips. I got my Ryzen 1700X, Azrock B350 Mobo, and 16GB of DDR4 on the way now, should be here in a week or less. Kernel 4.11 can't come any sooner. Crossing my fingers, hope I don't encounter any big issues. If it boots I'll be ok with reduced performance until the kernel matures. Super ok with that, lol.
SirBubbles Mar 8, 2017
At the moment, I'm planning to hold out for a 6 core/12 thread Ryzen r5, maybe that'll sort some issues out. Hoping it'll release soon, I can't wait much longer, dammit!
SirBubbles Mar 8, 2017
Quoting: Joeyboots80
Quoting: liamdaweThe key thing is that Ryzen does have much better single core performance than older AMD chips. That alone is worth a lot :)
Good point Liam. Looking forward to that much improved IPC on these new chips. I got my Ryzen 1700X, Azrock B350 Mobo, and 16GB of DDR4 on the way now, should be here in a week or less. Kernel 4.11 can't come any sooner. Crossing my fingers, hope I don't encounter any big issues. If it boots I'll be ok with reduced performance until the kernel matures. Super ok with that, lol.

I look forward to reading your account of experience with Ryzen. What do you plan to do with your system?
Joeyboots80 Mar 8, 2017
@SirBubbles

What shall I use it for? Gaming of course! And maybe a little work (I do product ordering and inventory for my place of employment). ;)

I will definitely report in when I got the new rig put together and fired up. Gotta admit, I'm excited. I hope this new chipset is a return to AMD's former glory, sure seems that way. Viva la Ryzen! :D

The r5's should be out by this summer right? Well, for you friend, I hope they get released as soon as possible. Cheers! :)
Xpander Mar 8, 2017
Ryzen is not just for gaming, its for productivity tasks, compiling, streaming, video editing, multitasking, running virtualbox etc. If you want raw high fps in games then Kaby lake is for you, if you are not only gaming but doing all those tasks i mentioned then ryzen is for you and gaming on it is good enough.

I had issues with my order, first i pre-ordered(i dont usualy preorder but since i killed my previous board i had no other option) from amazon. waited and waited and nothing arrived, turned out they didnt have mobo in the stock even and didnt want to tell when it will arrive so i canceled my oder and ordered from caseking.de. There was a issue with UPS package management, they sent it to wrong place or something but now its sorted and should arrive today finally :).

I ordered Ryzen 1700X and ASUS Prime X370-Pro

already arrived parts are Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4 3200mhz and Noctua NH-U12S for AM4
gabber Mar 10, 2017
Don't know whether this was to be expected:
Got myself a Ryzen 7 1700 and a B350-Plus, Ubuntu 16.04 does boot but no network :(

Will install Kubuntu 17.04 Alpha2 and try again.
Xpander Mar 11, 2017
whats the Network Chip on your motherboard? and whats your kernel version.

mine has Intel® I211-AT, 1 x Gigabit LAN Controller and it worked with 4.9.10 kernel and works with current 4.10.1 i have Driver shows as igb
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.