Confused on Steam Play and Proton? Be sure to check out our guide.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «100/178»
  Go to:
hilpara May 4, 2018
You have to update the Mesa to 18 and LLVM to 6.
Shmerl May 4, 2018
Quoting: Cecco_d_AscoliAMD RADV TONGA (LLVM 5.0.0), Driver: 17.2.8, Vulkan: 1.0.42

Yep, your Mesa is too old.
ziabice May 5, 2018
Thanks to a very good offer on Amazon (only €249!) I just bought a new Radeon RX 580 4GB gfx card. It works like a charm with nearly everything I tried, but failed badly with TW3.
I'm usign Mesa 18.0.1 and Wine-staging-nine 3.6 (is the official Manjaro/Arch package). Game worked perfectly with my previous card (Radeon 7850), but when I tried with my new baby all I got is a black screen, my monitor saying "Out of range" and music and voices running in the background. Using alt-tab worked and the game seemed to work too, but not showing anything.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

I haven't tried with DXVK (now that I think about it, I haven't even tried any Vulkan based game).

Note:
I already searched bugs.winehq.org and bugs.freedesktop.org without luck
Cecco_d_Ascoli May 5, 2018
[quote=Guest]
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: Cecco_d_AscoliAMD RADV TONGA (LLVM 5.0.0), Driver: 17.2.8, Vulkan: 1.0.42
Yep, your Mesa is too old.
Quoting: hilparaYou have to update the Mesa to 18 and LLVM to 6.

Thank you very very much, thus I got it working! Sometimes it is these basic things amateurs ( not to say 'noobs' ) like me need to be pointed at straight away, and which should be included in the beginners' tutorial lyr3 intends to write.

Console and dxvk-hud now sport: AMD RADV TONGA (LLVM 6.0.0), Driver: 18.1.99, Vulkan: 1.0.68
Dxvk-hud indicating around 50-60 fps on High graphics settings (Nvidia hair-works off)
and between 25-40 on Ultra.
(wine having been updated to 3.7-staging)

Not bad at all for my venerable Radeon R9 380X and an Intel i5-2500K!

PS: After some fruitless and frustrating fiddling with building mesa myself yesterday evening (always some dependency and library amiss, troubles when building gallium, after patching that further errors...) I finally resorted to one Oibaf's Updated and Optimized Open Graphics Drivers on launchpad - which (comprising both mesa 18 and llvm 6.0) got it going in no time.
ziabice May 5, 2018
Quoting: ziabiceThanks to a very good offer on Amazon (only €249!) I just bought a new Radeon RX 580 4GB gfx card. It works like a charm with nearly everything I tried, but failed badly with TW3.
I'm usign Mesa 18.0.1 and Wine-staging-nine 3.6 (is the official Manjaro/Arch package). Game worked perfectly with my previous card (Radeon 7850), but when I tried with my new baby all I got is a black screen, my monitor saying "Out of range" and music and voices running in the background. Using alt-tab worked and the game seemed to work too, but not showing anything.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

I haven't tried with DXVK (now that I think about it, I haven't even tried any Vulkan based game).

Note:
I already searched bugs.winehq.org and bugs.freedesktop.org without luck

I solved!

To run the game I had to set a virtual desktop into Winecfg.

Then I tried DXVK and it's absolutely impressive!

Installed dxvk-bin from AUR, lauched setup_dxvk64 into the right wine-prefix, removed the virtual-desktop from Winecfg and everything worked so well that I'm speechless! :D
Shmerl May 6, 2018
Quoting: ziabiceI solved!

Installed dxvk-bin from AUR, lauched setup_dxvk64 into the right wine-prefix, removed the virtual-desktop from Winecfg and everything worked so well that I'm speechless! :D

Interesting, I've never needed to use virtual desktop. But may be in-game fullscreen / borderless setting affects it.
Shmerl May 6, 2018
Quoting: Cecco_d_AscoliAfter some fruitless and frustrating fiddling with building mesa myself yesterday evening (always some dependency and library amiss, troubles when building gallium, after patching that further errors...

This may be useful to you: https://www.gamingonlinux.com/wiki/Building_Mesa_from_source
ziabice May 6, 2018
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: ziabiceI solved!

Interesting, I've never needed to use virtual desktop. But may be in-game fullscreen / borderless setting affects it.

It's strange even to me, honestly, and I can't find the source of the problem, but... it works now and this is what counts! ;)

Exactly the same happenend when I tried ELEX. Using normal wine-staging-nine lead to artifacts and application crash, when run fullscreen (I had game resolution set to 720p, my monitor is 1080p, because my old gfx card couldn't handle the game).
Then tried DXVK (remember: game resolution still set to 720p) and the game crashed when run in fullscreen. Set the virtual desktop, game worked like a charm. Then I set game resolution to 1080p, still running fine into a virtual desktop.
Finally I removed the virtual desktop and the game worked flawlessy (has some graphics artifacts, here and there, but it's ok for me).

I suspect the resolution change was the problem: maybe interactions with my window manager or so. I have an old DXVK (0.42) so there are bugs that where fixed into latest git.
Lakorta May 6, 2018
Quoting: ziabiceI suspect the resolution change was the problem: maybe interactions with my window manager or so. I have an old DXVK (0.42) so there are bugs that where fixed into latest git.
Dxvk 0.50 was just released and one of the patch notes reads "Support for non-native screen resolutions including display mode changes". That may fix your problem, right? (not that it's much of a problem since you found an easy workaround)
rstrube May 8, 2018
Are there any work arounds to the missing Stream Output support on the Vulkan side? (or more specifically a 1:1 mapping of this feature). Everything is working wonderfully with DXVK with the exception of the distortion that occurs when certain enemies which use DX Stream Output (e.g. Rotfiends) are on screen.

Would love to know if anyone has come up with a work around.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.