Support us on Patreon to keep GamingOnLinux alive. This ensures all of our main content remains free for everyone. Just good, fresh content! Alternatively, you can donate through PayPal. You can also buy games using our partner links for GOG and Humble Store.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «101/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl May 8, 2018
Quoting: rstrubeAre there any work arounds to the missing Stream Output support on the Vulkan side?

There was some discussion in Khronos internally. You can follow this issue. They however are looking for feedback from game developers who can explain how stream output is used usually, so Khronos could decide how to better match it Vulkan. I'm not 3D graphics developer, so I can't comment on that, but may be you know someone who can answer their question?
rstrube May 8, 2018
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: rstrubeAre there any work arounds to the missing Stream Output support on the Vulkan side?

There was some discussion in Khronos internally. You can follow this issue. They however are looking for feedback from game developers who can explain how stream output is used usually, so Khronos could decide how to better match it Vulkan. I'm not 3D graphics developer, so I can't comment on that, but may be you know someone who can answer their question?

Thanks for the response, I actually found that thread via google and it was certainly interesting (although way over my head). Does wine3d still have significant performance problems with the Witcher 3 or are things better now with Wine Staging 3.7?
Shmerl May 8, 2018
Quoting: rstrubeDoes wine3d still have significant performance problems with the Witcher 3 or are things better now with Wine Staging 3.7?

It's still not ready. Wine developers are working in the internal branch on this issue, and didn't yet put memory access patches upstream.
rstrube May 8, 2018
Quoting: ShmerlIt's still not ready. Wine developers are working in the internal branch on this issue, and didn't yet put memory access patches upstream.

Yeah, I just did a test with wine3d and the performance is noticeably slower. Great to hear that wine developers are working on a potential fix, it would be fantastic to play the entire game without the graphical artifacts (abeit they are very minor at this point with DXVK). DXVK is an absolutely incredible project / initiative so I wouldn't be surprised if the developer comes up with solution to support DX Stream Output in the future.

Have you had an opportunity to test the internal branch? Does it make a significant difference in performance? Is it possible these changes will make their way into Wine Staging 3.8?
Shmerl May 8, 2018
Quoting: rstrubeHave you had an opportunity to test the internal branch?

No, since it's not public :) I've only heard about it. But hopefully it will work out well and will be merged upstream. It will take some time though.
Cecco_d_Ascoli May 9, 2018
[/quote] Ok. Lemme give it a try! Till weekend I am done with it! ...I might require some (nazi english) help before releasing! haha[/quote]
Thanks a lot!

Even a video tutorial in 'nazi English' would be splendid, as long as you don't forget the ban on imported root-vegetables :D
Shmerl May 11, 2018
You don't need Vulklan SDK anymore, unless you want to use Windows Vulkan layers. Same goes for registry keys and vulkan.json. With out of the box Wine experience setting up dxvk should be quite easy today.
Shmerl May 11, 2018
Quoting: GuestBoth Wine and Wine Staging of Debian packages are not yet built with wine-Vulkan support.

Don't know why!

I'm usually building Wine myself for testing. But I think winehq packages are built with Vulkan support already. They are updated more frequently than ones in Debian repo anyway, so just use those if you need packaged versions.
Shmerl May 11, 2018
That's what I added for Debian testing in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wine.list

deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/ testing main

dpkg --list | grep wine
ii  wine-devel                                    3.7.0~buster                            amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  wine-devel-amd64                              3.7.0~buster                            amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  wine-devel-i386:i386                          3.7.0~buster                            i386         WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  winehq-devel                                  3.7.0~buster                            amd64        WINE Is Not An Emulator - runs MS Windows programs
ii  winetricks                                    0.0+20180217-1                          all          package manager for Wine to install software easily

For unstable you should use:

deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/debian/ sid main
sebish May 12, 2018
In debian testing repository, wine (3.7) build with vulkan. It's work's fine with dxvk.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.