Check out our Monthly Survey Page to see what our users are running.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «120/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Mar 1, 2019
In the UI HUD I like to turn off quest description / objective. It's just too cluttering and you can easily look up current quest if you need.
Pangaea Mar 3, 2019
Hmm, another "first ever" occurred. Had just sold and bought some books from the books vendor in Novigrad, and while in the inventory (in the sell/buy screens) I flipped to another 'tab' to see if he would be willing to buy anything else, and for what prices -- when all the items in the tabs disappeared and some of the graphics started flickering. After I exited the merchant windows I noticed Geralt was flickering about once every five seconds, and it was much the same when in the Character/Inventory screen.

Saved the game and went back to the main menu and reloaded the same. Same thing happened, so Geralt was flickering. All items showed in the various tabs, though. Then I restarted the game and all appears to be functioning as normal again. Since it didn't reproduce after restarting the game, the save is probably fine, but I've uploaded in case you manage to get anything useful out of it.
https://megaupload.nz/7ad9E2v4b5/Geralt-flickering.tar_gz

Possibly just some weird outlier, but figured I'd mention it here nevertheless.
GermainZ Mar 3, 2019
You can press the Home key to toggle the HUD when taking screenshots, FYI.
Pangaea Mar 6, 2019
Quoting: Shmerl@Pangaea: see https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/bugged-keira.10999783
Thanks. That forum sure has changed a lot since I was active there years and years ago (I was in love with the first game). I've actually noticed some spelling mistakes and minor stuff like that, but at this point I suppose they are done patching the game. Would be nice if they fixed the Keira bug, but I'm not really expecting anything for such a minor thing which is very far from a show-stopper.

It's actually more annoying that we can't talk to the blacksmith in Blackbough without first meditating in the area. And a few times it's been impossible to complete various "open secret door" or suchlike interactions without restarting the game or reloading a save. I spent ever so long trying to open the secret door in the "tower mice" mission (from the above-mentioned Keira bug), including walking all over the island trying to find more spots for ghosts to interact with. Eventually I simply gave up and reloaded a save, and the 'door' opened right away. Stuff like that would be more important to fix as it has real consequences, and I don't think this is Linux or DXVK-related.
Shmerl Mar 6, 2019
Regarding meditation by the way, I recommend this mod which is quite nice:

https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2067/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vntc3Sfd50g

It makes meditation in the game into something actually interesting.
Pangaea Mar 8, 2019
Don't know if this affects anything in the Witcher 3, as it runs more or less perfectly already, but I got notified about an Nvidia driver upgrade (to 418.43), which contains this in the changelog:

• Fixed a bug that would occasionally cause visual corruption on some Vulkan titles. This bug was particularly prevalent on DXVK titles.

Thanks for the tip about that mod. I'm not using it yet, but it looks pretty nice. Have thought about a mod that zooms out the minimap a bit, as it's not very useful that zoomed in, but for now the only mod I've employed is one that disabled the storybooks videos when loading saves. Those got annoying pretty fast, albeit really cool the first time I saw it.
Shmerl Mar 8, 2019
It's generally a good idea to always keep drivers up to date, unless there are known regressions. So just update to every new version that comes out.
Shmerl Mar 15, 2019
The newest release of amdvlk Vulkan driver is finally handling TW3 without crashing. Performance is slightly better than radv:

amdvlk:

radv:

If using amdvlk, don't forget to enable disk shader cache, it's off by default (only runtime cache is used if you don't enable it):

in
$HOME/.config/amdPalSettings.cfg
ShaderCacheMode 2

Cache is stored in: $HOME/.cache/AMD/LlpcCache
YoRHa-2B Mar 17, 2019
That's nice and all, but amdvlk has broken rendering on my Polaris GPU. Sometimes it renders seemingly random geometry, and since the latest update, vegetation has flickering squares on it.

On RADV you can improve performance by setting dxvk.useEarlyDiscard = True. This is enabled by default for ANV as well as AMDVLK and the -PRO driver, but not for RADV because it triggers a GPU hang in Nier. Yields one or two FPS when there's a lot of vegetation on screen.
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.