You can sign up to get a daily email of our articles, see the Mailing List page.
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «137/178»
  Go to:
Shmerl Dec 20, 2019
Latest benchmark, including amdvlk which started working again:

Hardware: Ryzen 9 3900X, Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT, 2560x1440.

Kernel: 5.5-rc2.

amdvlk (117.8 fps)

radv/llvm (119.8 fps)

radv/aco (120 fps)

Last edited by Shmerl on 20 December 2019 at 2:16 am UTC
Shmerl Dec 20, 2019
Interestingly, apparently Henry Cavill who is playing Geralt in the upcoming series, is a big fan of Witcher games and even played through TW3 several times.
slaapliedje Dec 20, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlInterestingly, apparently Henry Cavill who is playing Geralt in the upcoming series, is a big fan of Witcher games and even played through TW3 several times.
I knew it! Superman was tired of saving the world, so booted up his Linux box and runs wine to play Witcher 3!

Kernel panics are his kryptonite now!
slaapliedje Dec 20, 2019
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: slaapliedjeIs this going to be like Watchmen, where you get a lot more out of the series if you've read the books?

Or is this going to be basically the book series as a Netflix series?

In general though, it's known that series will follow the books. The first season will be based on short stories books - The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny. Further seasons will be based on subsequent books - Blood of Elves, Time of Contempt, Baptism of Fire, The Tower of the Swallow and The Lady of the Lake.

Ha, seems I have a lot of reading ahead of me.
Shmerl Dec 20, 2019
Quoting: slaapliedjeHa, seems I have a lot of reading ahead of me.

Enjoy! The books are very good, though quality somewhat can depend on translation. Some are better than others from what I've heard.

Quoting: slaapliedjeI knew it! Superman was tired of saving the world, so booted up his Linux box and runs wine to play Witcher 3!

Kernel panics are his kryptonite now!

Some recent sources I've seen about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFrQhBq0gL8
https://www.pcgamer.com/the-witchers-henry-cavill-just-wants-to-stay-home-and-play-games/

And this article answers your question about whether reading the books would help understand the series, sounds like it would!

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2019-12-19/netflix-the-witcher-henry-cavill-lauren-schmidt-hissrich

Quote“We don’t do a ‘previously on’ for our episodes, nor do I coddle audiences into understanding everything that’s come,” Hissrich says.

Last edited by Shmerl on 20 December 2019 at 5:40 am UTC
kaiman Dec 20, 2019
Quoting: ShmerlEnjoy! The books are very good, though quality somewhat can depend on translation. Some are better than others from what I've heard.
I liked the short stories most, followed by Season of Storms and the latter books of the series proper. Not sure if the writing or the translation is to blame, but the first books of the series came over as a bit bland (I read them in German). My copy of the short stories is from 2000 and doesn't even bother to list a translator, so no idea if it's the same who did the current editions, but I liked both the writing style and the twists and turns each story took.

Guess I might be watching the series in my upcoming vacation. Gotta dust off that old TV first, though ;-).
Shmerl Dec 20, 2019
Quoting: kaimanI liked the short stories most, followed by Season of Storms and the latter books of the series proper. Not sure if the writing or the translation is to blame, but the first books of the series came over as a bit bland (I read them in German). My copy of the short stories is from 2000 and doesn't even bother to list a translator, so no idea if it's the same who did the current editions, but I liked both the writing style and the twists and turns each story took.

Yep, short stories are my favorite part too!

Last edited by Shmerl on 20 December 2019 at 7:20 pm UTC
Koopacabras Dec 21, 2019
someone at home was already watching the series and I saw a part of a cursed rat man that saves a king as it's granted some kind of favor from the royalty, visual effects were impresive. Also saw a witcher that had like a big insect pet not sure if was some sort of spider or what, didn't look like anything of the game it had multiple legs but if I remember well the spiders from witcher had a huge abdomen, this didn't. maybe I'll watch some more later on, steam sale is taking all of my spare time.

Last edited by Koopacabras on 21 December 2019 at 1:27 am UTC
slaapliedje Dec 23, 2019
I finished the Netflix series. Fair warning to those who are planning to watch it. It is very non-linear and by the time it gets to the point where everything is together to move the story forward rather than feeling like it just explained what happened before, the series ends!

Basically, season 1 is all about building the character stories. I am sure some of it at least is mentioned in the games. But with the way they did it, it seems it adds some book lore and game lore into it for the first season,and my guess is season 2 will be after them.
Shmerl Dec 23, 2019
I'm still in the middle. So far my favorite episodes are 3 (focused on striga fight) and 4 (focused on the law of surprise).

Episode 2 felt underwhelming for those who read the books. The whole sub-story line with elves, Lille and Dana Méadbh is practically missing. But I guess for those who didn't read them it will go unnoticed, if may be slightly confusing due to lack of context.

On the other hand, you could say it's the result of adaptation to the series medium. I suppose they could do a better a job at that, but overall it was still good.

Last edited by Shmerl on 23 December 2019 at 12:47 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.