Feedback requested: Steam Play tag
Liam Dawe May 2
Hi all, we have the tag system for articles, but one thing I may tweak is the current "Steam Play" tag.

Do you think it would be better suited to change the tag name to "Proton"?

Since Steam Play is just the overall system, which includes other tools too. I'm not entirely sure if it's worth the change or not. Because then I might need say a GE-Proton tag or whatever too, so that it's clearer, but then if you only follow one tag you might miss the other news and so on.

What are your thoughts?
Ehvis May 2
I suppose it depends on how people use it. For me the "Steam play" tag puts the game for that article on a lower priority and if it's about something I'm not interested in I might skip the article entirely. But I don't filter on it. But what whether it's called "Steam Play" or "Proton" wouldn't affect me. Any exceptions where steam play would be something not proton related is usually clear from context.
tuubi May 2
Would "Non-native" be too vague? I suppose you apply this tag specifically to Windows games playable using Proton in Steam. As for your other point, I think "Proton" is generic enough to cover all versions and forks, including GE-Proton.
CatKiller May 2
GE-Proton news is currently included under the "Steam Play" tag. I don't see any issue with including it under a "Proton" tag instead, and the "Proton" tag name would be more representative of how people actually talk about it, and would be a better fit (rather than worse, as you fear) for those side-projects than under Valve's branding.

You do have another tag for the "running non-native games on Linux" class - Wine - but I'm willing to accept that there are people that want Wine news that don't want Proton news for some reason.
Quoting: CatKillerYou do have another tag for the "running non-native games on Linux" class - Wine - but I'm willing to accept that there are people that want Wine news that don't want Proton news for some reason.
Theoretically, I'd be in that group. Most of the non-native games I play are through Wine rather than Proton because they aren't on Steam.

In reality, I don't filter anything and just want to know all the news.
Liam Dawe May 2
Yeah most people don't filter things out (I can see via DB on blocked tags). It's more about the general presentation. It's not a problem, more just wanted feedback on how people feel about it.
Pengling May 2
Quoting: CatKillerI don't see any issue with including it under a "Proton" tag instead, and the "Proton" tag name would be more representative of how people actually talk about it, and would be a better fit (rather than worse, as you fear) for those side-projects than under Valve's branding.
Seconding this - I rarely see anyone talk about Steam Play, but Proton gets talked about a lot.

Maybe an update to the old Steam Play article that's occasionally promoted at the top of the site might be in order, if the tag changes, too?
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.