Don't want to see articles from a certain category? When logged in, go to your User Settings and adjust your feed in the Content Preferences section where you can block tags!
The Witcher 3 in Wine
Page: «141/178»
  Go to:
slaapliedje Jan 2, 2020
Quoting: The_Aquabatjust watched the first episode of the series best thing so far is this quote
Quote“Evil is Evil. Lesser, greater, middling… Makes no difference. The degree is arbitary. The definition’s blurred. If I’m to choose between one evil and another… I’d rather not choose at all.”

👌
👌
Yeah, the series is definitely good, though is one of those where everything comes together... right at the moment for you to wait for season 2!
slaapliedje Jan 2, 2020
Quoting: Shmerl
Quoting: slaapliedjeI did buy a nice collector set for Appetite for Destruction, and it came with a bluray Audio disk that has AMAZING sound. Now if I can figure out how to rip it to a FLAC...

You can probably rip it to WAV using ffmpeg (ffmpeg can read almost anything), and then encode to FLAC with regular flac encoder from Xiph flac package.

mpv also works as a nice frontend for ffmpeg.

Something like:

mpv --no-video --ao pcm --ao-pcm-file target.wav some_source

Though flac encoder is picky, you need to figure out how to generate a wav it can understand.
I'll have to give that a shot. I usually just rip CDs with Rhythmbox to ogg, because I'm lazy. :P
Pangaea Jan 4, 2020
About CD ripping, I used to love Exact Audio Copy (EAC). Quickly found that link, but am not sure to what extent it still works, especially on Linux. I used it with Windows back then, but it was brilliant, and from lossless sites I visited at the time, it was *the* software to use. I used it for bootlegs of concert recordings, as it was a hobby at the time to collect concert recordings of my favourite bands. Anyway, if it still works, give it a shot.

Back then I made lossless to .shn, which is abandoned now I think, or at least not the version you want. Flac is better, and I should have converted heaps of recordings, but never did because it was a massive undertaking.

Anybody seen the first Witcher TV show season yet?

Thought it was pretty good, and couldn't for the life of me understand the people and reviews saying it was slow in the beginning. Limbs were flying every which way! But perhaps it was easier for me because I have read the books, so I knew the characters from beforehand. Probably harder if you don't know anything about it.

I see they re-wrote some things (not going to mention specifics as it would be spoilers), but it mostly worked out okay I think. Lots of stuff was dropped too, and I think they kinda jumped the gun with some dialogue, but no big deal. At least not yet. Naturally I'm worried the show will get the GoT treatment of full-on character assassination and butchery, but for now I think they did a good job and I'm intrigued to follow the next seasons.

Considering giving the game another swirl too. Have yet to play the expansions, and with a new computer on hold due to AMD driver issues/concerns, it's a little tempting to fire up the game again. Need to re-learn the mechanics, but that will hopefully be okay. Dodging (not diving away) is basically how combat works. Just pretend to be a boxer, always on the move. And use a mod for the actual boxing to make it fair, otherwise you want to put your fist through a wall.
Shmerl Jan 5, 2020
Quoting: PangaeaAnybody seen the first Witcher TV show season yet?

I've seen it, and I agree it's pretty good, even if it doesn't follow the books perfectly.

Quoting: PangaeaDodging (not diving away) is basically how combat works. Just pretend to be a boxer, always on the move. And use a mod for the actual boxing to make it fair, otherwise you want to put your fist through a wall.

I actually found fistighting to be too easy. Winning against even much tougher opponents works if you time your block right. Attacking after the block causes critical hits almost every time.

As for dodging, it's indeed better method than rolling, the later drains more stamina. With sword fights, using dodging you can pirouette around the opponent sometimes, and attack from the side or even from the back if you are fast enough. Monsters are usually faster so such tactic is less effective in general, except with slow ones like earth elementals and such. With them it works very well.

Quoting: PangaeaHave yet to play the expansions, and with a new computer on hold due to AMD driver issues/concerns, it's a little tempting to fire up the game again.

I'd say by now, there are no major issues remaining. So upgrade when you have an opportunity.

Last edited by Shmerl on 5 January 2020 at 8:52 am UTC
Pangaea Jan 5, 2020
I don't trust that last line for now in general. Perhaps fine for Linux masterminds, but for noobish plebs like me any small issue would be a major headache, and I just don't want to blow lots of money on a not properly functioning computer. It wouldn't be just gaming that is affected afterall, but pretty much everything. So I will wait. Can't really spend that kinda money right now anyway, as my contract expired and I currently don't have another job lined up.

Fist fighting was a big problem for me, also after watching videos about the blocking move over and over. I'd often get it right, but one miss and half your health is gone. It's simply way too unfair to need 20+ hits to knock out an opponent, while they need 2 or at best 3. With the mod I used I still need more hits than they need, but it's more even. Like 20 vs 15 or something like that. Feels more like an actual fight too, and thus more fun.

I had a quick swirl yesterday, but it was basically at the very end of the main story, so I got my arse kicked. It's a mission where I get up against 10 armoured people or something, and I try to not use Igni since it's so overpowered, and died quite a few times.

The game seemed much more sluggish than last time I played it, which is a bit weird. But come to think of it, I probably need to update DXVK and suchlike. Played June 16th last, so am using whatever was 'modern' then.
Pangaea Jan 5, 2020
Hopefully managed to upgrade DXVK to 1.5 correctly - I used the script from the gog forums. Hope it will run smoother than yesterday's trial.

Looked through some quests and inventory stuff, and see that I'm missing some gwent cards (I used a mod to cheat the game, as I don't like it one bit). According to the gwent book, I miss 3 cards in Velen and 1 card in Novigrad. Is it possible to know where I can find these cards, or would I have to ask every innkeep and whatnot in the entire world to unravel it?

If it's possible to complete the collection in the expansions, I don't have to bother with it now. Would be nice to complete it since I'm so close.
Shmerl Jan 5, 2020
I'm missing a few too, but I collect them as it goes.
Pangaea Jan 5, 2020
I've done for a while, but I've practically been through the game twice and am still missing some. Know I was ignoring it for a while since I didn't like it, but have no idea where I may have been in the game at the time, so little idea where to start 'searching'. Oh well. Hopefully will find them eventually. Presumably it's still possible, otherwise the mission would probably have failed.
Shmerl Jan 5, 2020
I think there are some on-line guides which list every location, but if you don't remember where you already got the cards, you'd need to visit each one of them :)
Shmerl Jan 6, 2020
As for AMD, it is running very stably for me with 5.5 kernel series, though I'm using release candidate. Out of the box distros will package that pretty soon once 5.5 will come out, so no need to wait specially for anything else. But good luck finding new contracts and eventually upgrading!

Last edited by Shmerl on 6 January 2020 at 12:36 am UTC
While you're here, please consider supporting GamingOnLinux on:

Reward Tiers: Patreon. Plain Donations: PayPal.

This ensures all of our main content remains totally free for everyone! Patreon supporters can also remove all adverts and sponsors! Supporting us helps bring good, fresh content. Without your continued support, we simply could not continue!

You can find even more ways to support us on this dedicated page any time. If you already are, thank you!
Login / Register

Or login with...
Sign in with Steam Sign in with Google
Social logins require cookies to stay logged in.